PDA

View Full Version : Creating 1 install from many

Mongoose
07-29-2002, 12:13 PM
Currently, I have one install program launch 7 other installs, written in everything from VB pakacke and Deployment, Wise Installer, IS 5.5, IS 5.0, and IS Dev 7.0. This is ok for the short term, however, I want to incorporate all installs into one, with each application being a feature. And in case that wasn't enough, 2 of the installs execute scripts to create sql server database tables and users and one runs a script for miniSQL. I, now, have an opportunity to define the install requirements for each project to deliver. Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks, JC

aventi
07-30-2002, 09:56 AM
You can refer to Nested Installs in the MSI Help.
There are many rules to using nested installs.

Depending on your application of the install (commercial versus internal or small number of users) other products may do more.

Mongoose
07-30-2002, 01:03 PM
Thanks, Avanti, I appreciate the suggestion. However, I want to move away from nested installs, I essentially accomplish the same thing by using LaunchAppAndWait() to run the separate installs. Essentially, I would like to build one install with each application as a separate feature. Is there is any way to import an install into an existing one (i.e. take the MSI file and include its build in another build)

Thanks again,
JC

aventi
07-30-2002, 01:10 PM
Regardless of usage in a Standard or Basic install. LaunchAppAndWait or using Nested installs would encounter similar issues.

If you import (you can import produced installs) your other installs you lose the context of maintaining a separate package. You will need to maintain 2 installs. Changes to the "child" install will require changes to the "parent" install.

If you need to keep the indepence of the child installs and yet want a nested feature approach. Associate a custom action or script with each feature. If selected, run the CA or script.