PDA

View Full Version : SP4 increased the size of the patch...

gauravwadhawan
07-29-2002, 07:08 AM
We have a situation here:

1) All this while we have been making patches with Install Shield Dev 7.02 version. The patches built were generally of 13 MB size.

2) Then we upgraded the IS Dev to 7.04 by installing SP4.

3) When we created the same patch (after SP4), we saw the size of the patch getting increased to 33 MB.

4) We could see some multiple entries of merge modules in the merge module section of IDE. Also, we saw the install directory of Install Shield and found the merge modules files getting updated with their latest version.

5) So firstly, we removed those multiple entries from the IDE and in the source directory of Install Shield we re-copied the older merge module files (as of ver. 7.02).

6) This scaled down the patch size to 23 MB.

7) But, this is still 10 Mb of extra size as compare to the earlier version of IS Dev.

Q) Is there anything else we can do to decrease the size of the patches further?

Q) Is it the built in architecture of SP4 which creates builds with larger size?

Q) Is it something to do with .NET settings, which we can uncheck or remove (since we found SP3 a .NET upgrade in particular)?

Art Middlekauff
07-30-2002, 05:41 PM
Nothing changed in SP4 that should directly affect patch size. The extra merge modules that you are seeing may have something to do with it. Could you check your merge module search path in Tools | Options to make sure it is correct?

gauravwadhawan
07-30-2002, 11:15 PM
Hi Middlekauff,

Firstly, thanx for replying to the post. Yes, I have checked the path in the Tools->Options FileLocations dialog and the merge module paths seem to be correct.

One more development to the issue : Yesterday we made some changes to the Files table and InstallScript. When the patch was created, the size scaled down to 19.5 MB. I don't think we did anything specific that should change the size of patch.

I am seeing this behavior only after installing SP4. Wonder what could be the logical reason behind this?

Regards

kbernhardt
07-31-2002, 03:24 AM
Hi,

I have a simular problem with the size of the Installshield-Projectfile. when I create a new standard-project with 7.03 (only create, then directly save) the filesize is 10-times bigger than under 7.02-Version. A detailed service-request with the number 16875 from 28.06.02 is accepted from Installshield-Support as a reproducesable problem and directed to the development-team. Until now i have no answer from Installshield.

Art, can you please ask the developer-team ?

(A simulary problem I have with the conversion of projectfiles from 7.01 to 7.02. There a also 10-times bigger than the original one. The solution from IS-Support was to install a full-version)
Because until now i have not updated to 7.04, i can't say anything about 7.04.

Hope, that IS will found the error

Thanks

Klaus

Art Middlekauff
07-31-2002, 10:31 AM
In reply to gauravwadhawan, I am not sure why the patch size increased. A tool you can use to investigate is the patch viewer. This can be found on InstallSite:

http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/tips.htm

You can view the new patch and compare it to the old patch to see where the increase is coming from.

Art Middlekauff
07-31-2002, 11:45 AM
In reply to kbernhardt, are you using a language pack? When a language pack is installed, the strings for all the languages are added to the templates. So all the strings are there in any new project, even if the new project is only using one or two languages. The project file will be about 2 MB if both the East and West language packs are installed.

kbernhardt
08-01-2002, 02:46 AM
Hi Art,

yes i have installed the latest West Language Pack (7.03), but currently i am not using it (I only use english at the moment).

To be sure, that it is the problem of the big filesize, I uninstalled the West-Language-Pack.

But the silesize for a new created projekt remains at 1514 KB.

So it must be another error.

Please note, I only create a new Standard-Project by wizard or directly and the save immediately (NO SETUP-EDIT). Start the explorer and look at the filesize.
There must be an error at calculating the default filesize for create of the projectfile.

Hope we find the error

Thanks

Klaus

Art Middlekauff
08-02-2002, 07:56 AM
Please open one of the template files directly in the IDE. These template files are found in [ProgramFilesFolder]InstallShield\Developer\Support\0409, and have an extension of ISM. Please open IsProjBlankTpl.ism. Now in the Direct Editor, go to the ISString table and sort on language. This will show you how many languages are in the template. If there are many languages, that would explain why the file sizes of new projects are large.

kbernhardt
08-02-2002, 08:29 AM
Hi Art,

Yes, you have right.
There are 19500 rows in the ISString-Tabelle.
It takes some times to load it.
Can you tell me, how to reduce the table ?
Currently I need only English, in the future perhaps german.
But for language support, I normally have the West-Language-Pack,which should include languages on demand.
Is that right ?
Thank you for support.

Best regards

Klaus

Art Middlekauff
08-02-2002, 08:43 AM
I would recommend the following:

1. Create backups of all of the template files (ism files in support\0409).
2. Open each template file that you will actually use. (For blank Basic MSI projects, IsProjBlankTpl.ism. For Project Wizard Basic MSI projects, IsProjTbl.ism.)
3. In the Direct Editor, go to the ISString table. Sort by language. Select all the records for each language you don't want and delete those rows (select them, and then choose delete from the right-click menu). I would recommend retaining German and English.

Now any new project you create will only have English and German. If you need to get additional languages, you can use the backups of the templates that you created.

kbernhardt
08-02-2002, 11:00 AM
Hi Art,

i have done and tested your solution.
But i am sorry, it does not work.
The filesize remains by 1473 KB.
I have reduced the language-strings in IsProjWizScriptTpl.ism and IsProjScriptTpl.ism to the languages with the id 1031 and 1033, which are german and english. The rows are reduced form 19500 to 1560, but the filesize after save of the template are still 1473 KB and this is the exact filesize, when i create afterwards the new test-projects. I wonder, that when i drop the rows, that the filesize is not decreased.

any ideas ?

Klaus

Art Middlekauff
08-02-2002, 11:43 AM
The ISM file uses the same underlying format as MSI. So the same techniques to compress an MSI can be used to compress an ISM. The MSI help says:

"To remove wasted storage space and reduce the final size of .msi files, authors have two options.
- Export all the tables in the database to .idt files and then import these into a new database. This produces the most compact storage possible.
- Use a software utility for compacting the storage space of OLE document files."

With Developer, the first option is actually quite easy. Just choose File | Export to Text. Move the original ISM. Then, open the exported isv. This should create a new, compact file.

kbernhardt
08-05-2002, 03:33 AM
Hi Art,

now it works.
The size is reduced to 191 KB for a blank project.
Thank you.

Regards

Klaus

kbernhardt
08-07-2002, 08:58 AM
Hi Art,

some problem is raised.
I have an old test-project (7.02), that i need now for testing-purpose. It is pretty converted to 7.03, but the build stops with the error:

Error: -1024: File C:\Programme\InstallShield\Developer\redist\0409\i386\_isres.dll not found. Cannot stream the file into the Binary table

I have checked it and its true. I do a search, which found some files under West Language Pack Directory, but i remember, that for our testing i have removed the Language Pack. To get my build to run, I install the Package again.
Now the file is there and many other 04xx-directories.
The build is running.

Because of a bad feeling, i look at the size of the templates and they are blown up to the old-size of 1,5MB.

Must i do the same hard work again (Deleting of 19000 rows in every template)?

Question:
I use until now only the english-language. So normally I don't need the West-Language-Pack. So the Developer must work without the Language Pack. Or is there something going wrong with Deinstallation of the West-Package (I think the package deinstall the isres.dll for the default-language also. Bug?)

regards

klaus