PDA

View Full Version : Norton LiveUpdate and SP4

taninu
07-29-2002, 01:45 AM
I recently install SP4 over SP2 and install shield worked fine but I was not able to run Norton LiveUpdate which gave me an error that no Norton Product was installed in my computer. First I thought it was Norton problem but when I uninstalled SP4 LiveUpdate worked fine so I must assume that it is SP4 problem since I am able to run SP2 without a problem. Has anyone experience the same problem or is it only me ?

Peerke
07-29-2002, 02:21 AM
I'm having exactly the same problem.

(win2k/sp2, Dev7.04 NAV2002)

Regards,

Rene

Prince
07-29-2002, 07:58 AM
You can try stop Norton Antivirus and then install Dev 7.04 on such machine. Now, start NAV and then see the result.

taninu
07-29-2002, 11:23 AM
Well, I have tried all possible ways of gettting around the problem but without "luck". I tried disabling Norton Antivirus as someone suggested but I think that is not the solution because I think SP4 is over writing a file which Norton LiveUpdate uses to determine what Norton Product is in the comuter.

Short of going in to safe mode and installing SP4 I think someone in InstallShield needs to do some integration testing because I am sure there are many out there using Norton product which relies on LiveUpdate.

I'd hate to have install shield be responsible for someone's computer catching a virus because SP4 disabled the liveupdate function.

Regards,

Tanin

dracula
07-29-2002, 06:35 PM
When I installed SP4 my Outlook 2002 could no longer find Word to use it as my default email editor. I did the install of SP4 twice with the same results. I am now back to SP3 without a problem. My SP4 was not installed long enough to see if it inteferred with my Norton Liveupdate.

Maybe the IS person investigating your issue, can look at my issue and maybe find a common DLL that could cause interference with both Liveupdate and Outlook. That might help track down the offending DLL.

taninu
07-30-2002, 06:07 AM
Well, after fidling around with my problem of not being able to run Norton LiveUpdate when SP4 is installed. I got really frustrated and decided to go back to my SP2 for the last time. But as I was uninstalling SP4, I was curious to see if LiveUpdate would work if I ran it while uninstalling SP4. Strangely enough, it did. So I canceled the uninstall (as early as I could while it was still dispalying "Searching for Installed Component") and ran the install again but this time I just selected the "Repair" instead of removing and installing again.

Well, it works. Now I have SP4 and LiveUpdate functioning.

The reason why I kept trying is because of thought outside the box ;) (SEE BELOW)

You are driving along in your car on a wild, stormy night.You pass by a bus stop, and you see three people waiting for the bus:

1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.

2. An old friend who once saved your life.

3. The perfect man (or) woman you have been dreaming about.

Which one would you choose to offer a ride to, knowing that there could only be one passenger in your car.

Think before you continue reading.

This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was once actually used as part of a job application.

You could pick up the old lady, because she is going to die, and thus you should save her first; or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back.

However, you may never be able to find your perfect dream lover again.The candidate who was hired (out of 200 applicants) had no trouble coming up with his answer.I love this!

WHAT DID HE SAY?
He simply answered: "I would give the car keys to my old friend, and let him take the lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the woman of my dreams."

Never forget to "Think Outside of the Box."

luke_s
07-31-2002, 12:59 AM
Your problem with Word, might be becuase you need a reboot after installing ISDEV7 sp4. This might unlock some of the dll's that Word uses. I used to have this problem when I upgraded my windows installer version from 1.2 to 2.0

Prince
08-06-2002, 11:38 AM
Hi All:

I got same problem when I install AdminStudio. I search for this on symantec site and I got a article related to this. May be this can help you too. Please see the
article (http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2000100411192113?Open&src=w)

Eric Yin
08-06-2002, 05:40 PM
I had same problem , my PC runing XP, after tried the solution in the article in prince's post, it fixed the problem. Although it said for win95/win98 only, but after I imported that REG file , liveupdate works again. (I had the right version of Oleaut32.dll which the article said you need).

KlausR
08-06-2002, 06:26 PM
Yup, I've seen it too!

Prince
08-07-2002, 06:50 AM
Eric:

That article have a note that:

NOTE: If you are running Windows Me/NT/2000/XP, skip to the next section, "Import a registry key."

So dont use the "version of the Oleaut32.dll file" section if you are using Windows Me/NT/2000/XP.

Eric Yin
08-07-2002, 10:09 AM
price,
I guess I missed the first line, :(, but I had the version of oleaut32.dll they indicated, so didn't bother to replace. and I guess we probably cannot replace it on XP machine anyway, since it's the core dll of COM in Windows, it probably would be a system protected file. Anyway, the Reg import fixed the problem, I'm happy now, :). Thanks lot for your post.

Stefan Krueger
08-08-2002, 03:53 PM
Hi all,

according to my information there was a conflict with Norton LiveUpdate in version 7.03 and before. However it's supposed to be fixed in 7.04. Can you please confirm that the problem still occurs for you with ISD 7.04?
I would also appreciate if you would send me your e-mail address (to skrueger@installsite.org) and support request number if you opened a support ticket for this.

Thanks.

tw0001
08-08-2002, 04:15 PM
The problem is definitely the missing IEnumVariant in the registry, the 7.03 and less uninstall trashes it, i.e.

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=ALL&articleid=Q106194

I think the problem is resolved in 7.04.

aditko
08-14-2002, 08:12 AM
I have just installed SP4 over SP3 and have the same Outlook/Word issue. My address book no longer works either.
I have not checked the Norton update yet.

Ramose
08-14-2002, 10:45 AM
I got my norton live update working again by doing a repair on isdev 7.04. I'm happily updating again.
:)

dracula
08-14-2002, 10:49 AM
I had both the Outlook problem and the Norton Liveupdate problem. I was able to fix both of them by following the suggestions from this thread.

I solved the Outlook problem by eliminating the extra registry entries for Outlook in Office 8.0 and Office 9.0 registry sections.

I fixed the liveupdate problem by applying the registry fix from the Symantec website that is referenced in one of the replies in this thread.

My SP4 update seems to work and I have not yet noticed any other system problems after fixing those mentioned above.

Good Luck.

aditko
08-14-2002, 11:32 AM
Running repair for InstallShield from the Add/Remove Panel solved my Outlook problem. I had enough of IS for one day so I haven't checked for other problems yet.

neildavidson
08-29-2002, 04:16 AM
It would be useful.

tw0001
08-30-2002, 09:54 AM
There is a KB article. The reason it occurs even in 7.04 is because it uses major upgrade so when it uninstalls 7.03 it still wipes out the IEnumVariant stuff from the registry. See

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=ALL&articleid=Q106194

So theoretically, now that they've fixed in 7.04, a 7.04 to 7.05 upgrade will no longer cause the problem. If it does be sure to run the hotfix from above KB article.

Although, I agree that the KB article definitely needs updating with more information and causes.

Ted.