PDA

View Full Version : advt. shortcut icons missing on NT4, but OK on Win2K and XP?

alastair.camero
07-28-2002, 07:43 PM
Standard project, 7.04.

For some reason, the icons for two advertised shortcuts do not appear correctly when an application is installed on Windows NT 4.0; the same icons show perfectly on XP and Windows 2000.

Does anybody know why this would happen?

The components are installed correctly, and the shortcuts both work; but the icon does not appear.

Is it something to do with NT4.0 not supporting advertised shortcuts correctly? or to do with the path of the source files (on a network drive) or installation files?

Help!

Alastair

kwilson
07-29-2002, 11:07 AM
I think you need at least SP6 to support some of the WindowsInstaller functionality.

alastair.camero
07-29-2002, 01:04 PM
You need SP6 in order be able to use Windows Installer 2.0 which is we are using.

So these machines already have SP6.

kwilson
07-29-2002, 01:23 PM
Another area you might check is whether IE 4.01 SP1 has ever been installed on the NT4 machines. This is the only version of IE that contained the necessary files to facilitate DeskTop Update.

alastair.camero
07-29-2002, 03:12 PM
Some of the machines may have had 4.01 on them, some of them maybe not.

However, are you saying that IE5.01+ on NT4 + SP6 does not support advertised shortcuts?

If so, then I'm guessing normal shortcuts are being created.

Not sure if this would explain why one, and only one of the icons (key file is an EXE) is not being created on NT but is on XP...

Alastair

kwilson
07-29-2002, 03:21 PM
Our experience with NT4 and Win95 is that they need to have had IE 4.01 SP1 for all the desktop related stuff. This is not an issue after this point as subsequent releases of the various OSs had the necessary DLLs installed. Whether this carries all the way down to advertised shortcuts I am not certain.

As far as version of IE go, only IE 4.01 SP1 had the necessary DLLs to support desktop update. None of the subsequent versions included those files.

tw0001
07-31-2002, 02:27 PM
i can confirm they stripped it out of subsequent releases of IE. You need the active desktop update for it to work.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q165695

you've got to dig up old CDs because Microsoft no longer has it for download, or follow completely unsupported (but easier) method

http://www.billsway.com/notes_public/Add_Active_Desktop_To_IE5.txt

(method 4 is the easiest and best IMO)