PDA

View Full Version : Change install path durring minor upgrade

JClark
07-26-2002, 01:53 PM
Durring an initial install of our product, some files are installed under the user-specific "Application Data" folder (Windows 2000). If I then log on as another user, and run this same installation, I am put into Resume mode, and the installation is treated as a Minor Upgrade. That's fine, but when the files are installed, they're reinstalled to the same directories as the initial installation.

I've just upgraded to 7.04, which has at least corrected the problem where INSTALLPATH was empty & couldn't be changed durring a reinstall/minor upgrade.

What I want to do is change the install path of my components in OnResumeUIBefore(). I've tried FeatureSetTarget() & MsiSetTargetPath(), both give no error, but the installation path is never actually changed. I even read in the help file for MsiSetTargetPath that it shouldn't be used for a component that has already been installed under any user account.

FeatureSetTarget() is the function I use durring OnFirstUIBefore(), and it works just fine there. I cut & pasted the same code into OnResumeUIBefore, but no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Jeff

Finley
08-27-2003, 10:51 AM
Did you find a solution to this?

I have the same problem and I note that in the standard comments for onResumeUIBefore, "ComponentTransferData" is used to actually move the files. This is why FeatureSetTarget does not work.

Unfortunately, the component-related functions which could have been used such as "ComponentSetTarget" are no longer available.

It may be possible to work round this using an MSI function but I'm still looking at the moment.

jfchickimon
09-05-2003, 09:16 AM
Also looking for a solution to this issue. We install our help file to a default location, but the user can change that location (ie. put a consolidated help folder on a network drive). Now when I build a minor upgrade for our product, I can't get it to upgrade the help file in the user-defined location, always the default location.