PDA

View Full Version : Adding a custom action that runs a .exe

laniquity
07-26-2002, 08:53 AM
I am new to InstallShield development and am running into a problem when I am trying to add a custom action to my installer. I have created the custom action usign the wizard. I set the exe to be installed with the product and to run with deferred execution.

I then added the action to the sequences immediately before the InstallFinalize action, which gave my CA a sequence number of 3150. From reading the help file this I assume this means that the last thing the installer should do is run my exe.

However, every time I build the project and run it the exe kicks off and then causes the installer to crash. If I remove the action wait for the installer to finish I can go into the directory and run the exe myself and it will run without a problem.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

tia

mark

RobertDickau
07-26-2002, 04:08 PM
In what way does the installer fail (with an error code, or with the install-was-interrupted panel, or...)? What are all the settings you gave the custom action?

laniquity
07-26-2002, 04:23 PM
The issue that I found was that the exe that I was calling from my Custom Action in certain circumstances had to call a different exe. This was causing the installer to not get a return back from the action.
I have changed the custom action to handle to condition rather than the exe and it now works

thanks

mark