PDA

View Full Version : How do I launch an application after the installation is complete?

flombardo
07-25-2002, 04:46 PM
I am developing a Basic MSI project and I want to launch an application after the user presses the "Finish" button. I have a custom action that runs an InstallScript function to launch the application, but I can’t get the CA to run successfully. I have tried to fire the CA using a DoAction event on the Finish button of the SetupCompleteSuccess dialog. The log file indicates “Internal Error 2896”, which I believe only indicates that the executing action failed. (Not too helpful.) Can anybody tell me how to achieve my goal?

Thanks in advance,
Frank

_doog_
07-26-2002, 07:13 AM
1) build a CA and call it something like "LaunchProgram"
(use the wizard-> there is a CA type 18 to launch programs installed with the application)

2) go to the SetupComplete-dialog, ok-button, events.
insert a
event=DoAction
argument=LaunchProgram (the name of the CA)
condition=not Installed (or whatever)

flombardo
07-26-2002, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by _doog_
2) go to the SetupComplete-dialog, ok-button, events.
insert a
event=DoAction
argument=LaunchProgram (the name of the CA)
condition=not Installed (or whatever)

I have tried to fire the CA using a DoAction event on the Finish button of the SetupCompleteSuccess dialog. It fails. The log file indicates “Internal Error 2896” (executing action failed). Are there any restrictions on the type of CA you can run after the installation in complete? Also, the app that I am trying to run is not copied to the target. I want to run it from the installation CD.

_doog_
07-26-2002, 07:38 AM
then you have to use another CA

i would suggest 50 (EXE file having a path specified by a property value) or 34 (EXE file having a path referencing a directory)

flombardo
07-30-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by _doog_
then you have to use another CA

i would suggest 50 (EXE file having a path specified by a property value) or 34 (EXE file having a path referencing a directory)

Thanks for the information. It works if I use a different type of CA. However, that leaves me wondering – What is there a reason that I cannot use a CA that runs InstallScript code? I am able to successfully call an InstallScript CA at different points in the installation. Is there something special about the “Finish” button?