PDA

View Full Version : Help: Multiple patches and File Sequence Start

TomClement
07-25-2002, 04:13 PM
I successfully created a "Hotfix1" patch for a recent release using the documented procedures. I'm now faced with creating a Hotfix2 and I'm confused about the "File Sequence Start" value in the patch wizard. The documentation says:

"when other patches are applied before the current patch, this number must account for the total number of files in the setup package and each previous patch. ... There is no straightforward way of figuring out how many files are in an .msp file. You must refer to each patch package's log file, because it lists each file in the patch."

The first point I need help on is how to count files that were replaced by the patch. Are these considered "new" and therefore should add to the sequence number (i.e. if one "Readme.txt" file is replaced by another in a patch, should the sequence number increase?

Secondly, it's not clear to me how to determine from the log how many files were installed?

Thanks for your help.

Philip1
07-25-2002, 07:29 PM
The way to determine what goes in the file sequence start field is fairly simple but not very intuitive.

First, the “Disk ID” field is basically the same as the last release or patch you created for your product + 1. So if you created a release and one patch, then you would put 3 in the Disk ID field. The next patch will get a 4, and so on. The “File Sequence Start” is only slightly trickier. If this is the first patch for this project then the default will be correct already, if not then find the log file generated for your most recent patch. Look for the LAST line indicating that a patch file was created. For example:

Patch file created: FTK=TestDll.dll; temp location=Family00\00009.HDR.

Note the 00009, add 1 to that (that's 10 in this example) and you get the number to enter into the File Sequence Start field for your new patch. The online help says to count the files but that’s dumb, the total you are looking for is always in the last line of the last log file.

TomClement
07-25-2002, 07:32 PM
Thank you! You've save me a lot of time.

TsungH
07-25-2002, 07:49 PM
FYI, if you are using version 2.0 of Patchwiz.dll and if the MinimumRequiredMsiVersion in the Properties Table (Patchwiz.dll) is set to 200, you don't have to worry about MediaDiskId and FileSequenceStart column. Defaults are good to go.

TomClement
07-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Thanks Tsung, this is very helpful!