PDA

View Full Version : Error 1721 while trying to launch an executable from a Developer 7.0.4 install

-omman-
07-25-2002, 01:39 PM
Hi,

I was trying to launch an executable through a CA at the end of the install, while passing in a few parameters to it.

I placed the CA at the end of the Execute sequence with a "Not Installed" condition. Most of the posts I found on the community regarding this error appear to be due to not having this condition set properly.

In my case, Windows Installer is refusing to launch the executable period, saying:

"Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

Upon accepting the error message, it then goes to the InstallInterrupted Dialog (although everyhthing is installed at this point, since this was after the InstallFinalize action occurred.)

Here are the details of the CA:

Type: Launch an executable
Source: PROGEXEDIR
Target: prog.exe -param1 -param2

(where PROGEXEDIR is an entry I've created in the Directory table via Direct Editor, with "parent" INSTALLDIR and default "progexe")

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong here? If I look at the files laid down when the error pops up, I can find "[INSTALLDIR]\progexe", and "prog.exe" is there. Just wanted some input, as I'm stumped at the moment. :confused:

Thanks,
Omman

TsungH
07-26-2002, 01:42 AM
I will try launching a simple executable, like Notepad.exe, in that CA. Also, I will run a validation on the package to make sure there is no validation error.

shawn1234
10-01-2002, 10:03 AM
[INSTALLDIR] has a trailing backslash.

-omman-
10-01-2002, 10:23 AM
Thanks, Shawn, but I don't think that was the problem; the backslash in my post was just a matter of illustration.

As far as my experience has gone, IS is smart enough to handle both "[Directory]\file" and "[Directory]file" fromats, both are equally valid.