PDA

View Full Version : configuring installations with registry information

tuffythecat
07-24-2002, 09:08 PM
Is it possible to enable/disable features based upon registry key values in InstallShield?
I want to merge a registry file with the registry when the installation begins and then, based upon the contents of the newly merged keys, enable/disable features.
Is this possible?
Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Ben

Peerke
07-25-2002, 02:50 AM
Maybe I don't really get it; you want to first merge a registry-file, and than read from the registry?

However, you can use the systemsearch to search the registry and set properties. You can than use these properties to add/remove certain features.

tuffythecat
07-25-2002, 02:54 AM
Yes, the first thing that I want to do is merge a registry file.
And then, based upon values in those merged values, I want to enable/disable features.
I think that I get what you are saying though. I can merge a REG file into the registry, then search the registry for certain keys, extract values, set properties based upon those values, and then disable/enable features based upon those properties.
Thanks! :)

graven
08-22-2002, 10:07 AM
it depends on the sequence order.
from what i understood while reading my log files the regular sequence order seems to be:

OnBegin
AppSearch
LaunchConditions

as you may use results of "SystemSearch" ("AppSearch") as a launch condition, it's executed prior to "LaunchConditions".

so for your objective you'd have to reg-merge during OnBegin, for example.

alternatively, you may insert your own actions into the sequence - before the AppSearch action.

cheers, graven (IS dev 7.04)

PS: also, the described layout means you can't use AppSearch results (i.e. the properties it sets) during OnBegin. they'll be empty, initially. but as already said: you may reorder sequences or insert additional actions into sequence. just keep in mind the sequence order matters ....

luke_s
08-22-2002, 05:21 PM
As Graven has stated, it will depend on your sequence order, but if that is worked out, you can then just write an action to set a property according to your registry entry value.
You can then set the install level of the feature, using the condition table, in accordance to this property.