PDA

View Full Version : file association - icon only, no app

gavin_francis
07-24-2002, 07:14 PM
Hi,

I want to to set up file extensions but without an application associated with it. Basically, I want to have a file type that has a description and icon associated with it, but not have any verbs (ie. Open) or application that it refers to.

What I did is create the extensions in the Advanced Settings for a component. However, this component does not have any files or key files. But I was able to add the extension and ProgID.

Anyways, this does not seem to work.....and I also get an error if I try to validate the msi database in Orca.

Here is the error when I validate the MSI database:
(note, I XXX'd out the specific stuff)

ICE19 ERROR Extension: 'XXX' advertises component: 'XXXXXXXX.XXX'. This component cannot be advertised because the KeyPath type disallows it.

Please help!!!

RobertDickau
07-25-2002, 09:44 AM
If you're going to use MSI to create a file association, you'll have to point to an executable that is the key file of its component. Otherwise, I expect you'll just write file-type data to the registry under---

HKCR\.ext ---> (Default) = extfile

HKCR\extfile ---> (Default) = "My Sample File Type"

---and so forth. (The easiest thing to do is to look in the registry and see how other file types work.) You might also look into the "NoOpen" file-type modifier.

Please see http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnw2kcli/html/w2kcli_chapter1.asp for more information.