PDA

View Full Version : Elevated priviledges?

Chris Breymeyer
07-24-2002, 10:17 AM
Hello,

Awhile back I attended a 1-day seminar called Making Sense of Windows Installer. And in this seminar it was conveyed to the audience that Developer 7 using MSI technology could get around the problem of users with limited rights not being able to install an app. Seeing as this was a major problem for our current installation, this sounded great. After purchasing Developer 7.03 and spending 6 weeks developing an installation using a Basic MSI, we have found out that this is not the case. The problem still exists. I have read Q105546 and Q105140, both of which were referenced in previous postings, and have found them to be no help in terms of automating a solution to this problem. According to these KB articles, I must either change group policy or write a key into the registry for LOCAL_MACHINE and CURRENT_USER. So, our original process was to have an admin person visit each machine and install the product. Now, the process has to be to have an admin person visit each machine and write a key into the registry? How is this better?
I would like to know if there is anyone out there that has found an AUTOMATED solution that allows a user with limited rights to run an MSI using a Basic MSI project in either 7.03 or 7.04.

Any help is always appreciated.
Chris

Lloyd_Bela
07-24-2002, 02:32 PM
There is a Microsoft knowledge base article Q259459 that talks about "HOWTO: Allow Users Who Are Not Administrators to Install MSI Packages".

It mentions 3 methods:
o Setting registry values
o Advertising the package on the computer
o Using application deployment and Group Policy

I presume that if you have to walk to each machine, then you are not on a network, as I believe you would otherwise have set the registry entries remotely. I also presume that the last 2 options also require you to have networked machines - BUT I don't know.

Hope this helps,
Lloyd