PDA

View Full Version : Msiexec / DoInstall related query

jSalil
07-24-2002, 09:01 AM
Hi all,
I have a top level setup.exe, which inturn uses DoInstall/Msiexec to call 2 different installations. So, when i run this setup, the add remove applet shows 3 new entires. I want only the entry of the top level setup to be present there. I do not want the user to see the other two products. How can i achieve this? I want to do this because if he uninstalls one of the 2 products, then the application will be rendered inconsistent.

Also, i have a component a which i want to install to a location specified by user. I.e., When i start the setup, it asks the user where he would like a certain set of files to go. Depending on that, i have to dynamically uncompress these files to the specified folder. Can i dynamically specify the destination folder of this component ? How?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Salil.

LewisQ
07-24-2002, 09:37 AM
All you have to do is to remove the DisplayName for the two child setups from HKLM\Software\Mickeysoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{GUID for Child}

in doing so the end user won't see it in add/remove and you can fire the uninstall from your setup.

jSalil
07-25-2002, 04:51 AM
I think i was not clear in defining my problem.
Correct me if i am wrong, but i assume that to implement Luiz's solution, i will have to first install the products and then modify the registry.
But I cannot do so for every installation, because this is a commercial product and will be used by whoever buys it.
Is there no way where i can have a setup or .msi project which will not register itself with windows or something like it?

chjost
07-29-2002, 06:01 AM
Quoted from MSI-Help:

>> Setting the ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT property to 1 using the
>> command line or a transform prevents the application from
>> being displayed in the Add or Remove Programs list on the
>> Control Panel.

You can set this Property also in Property-view.

Hope that helps,
Christian