PDA

View Full Version : Disk space remaining after install

KevR123
07-24-2002, 08:58 AM
Hi All,

I am packaging applications and one of the requirements is that there should be at least 200Mb of disk space on the install drive after the application installs otherwise the application should fail to install.

I managed to do this by adding a dummy file to each package and manualy changing the size of the file in the file properties. So the actual file is 1K but in the file table it's filesize is 210000000 (~=200Mb). This means that Msiexec thinks that each application is 200Mb bigger than it actualy is. This works fine (apart from having to write a custom action to change the Size property in the Add/Remove programs window!) for applications I package.

My problem is that I have to apply this 200Mb condition to some third party applications using transforms. I cannot manualy change the filesize using Tuner, it also fails if I try to create a transform using the base/target msi tool. I was looking at the ReserveCost table but couldn't get it to work, does this table cause an installation to fail if the space cannot be reserved? do I have to include this table/key in the AppSearch table? Has anyone got any other ideas how I might solve this problem with transforms.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,
Regards
Kev

RobertDickau
07-24-2002, 09:16 AM
Yes, the ReserveCost table should work (the installation can't continue if the reserved cost isn't available); just associate the ReserveCost record with a component that can't be deselected (in a hidden feature, perhaps). No AppSearch required.