PDA

View Full Version : Elevated privileges with a setup...possible?

dansweeting
07-24-2002, 04:46 AM
Hello All,

Looking at the threads already posted there seem to be conflicting opinions regarding my question.

It has been said that the current version of IS Developer has a bug with using 'elevated privileges'.

The whole concept of non-admin users being able to successfully run setups is frequently referenced in the help for MSI but not actually defined in terms of functionality.

Does anyone have a final word from Installshield on this bug / feature? Or even better has somebody actually created a setup available for non-admin users and how???!

LewisQ
07-24-2002, 08:46 AM
I think that bug was fixed in 7.04 but I haven't had the time to test it.

If it wasn't fixed you will need to resort to basic MSIs...

dansweeting
07-24-2002, 08:55 AM
Would that mean SP4 has the relative changes?

I am using an eval copy until I'm certain what I want do do is possible.

Thanks

LewisQ
07-24-2002, 09:39 AM
Like I told you, I am int he middle of an Active Directory roolout and I haven't had time to test 7.04 to see if that was fixed. Perhaps someone can tell us. I will not have time to upgrade our projects from 7.03 to 7.04 for another 2 weeks.

Chris Breymeyer
07-24-2002, 10:24 AM
I am using a Basic MSI and it doesn't work that way either.

dansweeting
07-24-2002, 10:26 AM
Then is an 'administrative install' the way forwards ??

Lloyd_Bela
07-24-2002, 02:54 PM
Would do you mean by "administrative install"?

A managed to get a standard project (single setup.exe) install to work with elevated privileges. The only limitation I found was in making it reinstall over itself properly. In that case I had to make the cached files be in the user's controlled directories. Also, I DID NOT use a web media type. I think it was CD-ROM. And I used the method of changing the user's and machine's registry entries, in particular AlwaysInstallElevated should be a DWORD on XP, STRING on NT or 2000. At one point, I abandoned using the GUI to change settings for the media builds and used the Wizard thinking that might help. Maybe it did.

There is more to it, I can't recall all the details. I looked at all the postings with "elevated" in them. In some cases I would not be able to explain why something I tried worked or did not work. I just tried various suggestions, poked the settings, crossed my fingers, prayed, etc., until it yielded to my will. bwaa ha ha :-)

I was hoping our friendly InstallShield people would clue us in on exactly how to do it ( :D hint, hint )

The BIG CAVEAT is that I never tried an update or patch. Don't know what problems that might run into.

I hope this helps,
-Lloyd

LewisQ
07-24-2002, 02:57 PM
Using elevated privileges with a basic MSI does work and we are using it for Active Diretcory assignment and publishing. When there is an update we do use a Major Upgrade for the simple factthat it is way easier to do it and bandwidth is not a concern for us.

Like I said, I didn't and won't have time for the next two eeks to see if a standard project assignment/publishing will work.

dcburr
08-23-2002, 05:32 PM
Can you expand on your use of using elevated privileges, what settings, parameters.. basically how ya doin it

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

S Hart
02-14-2003, 05:14 AM
I've finally got my app to install with elevated privileges, but now I need to update it but it fails with "Adding new sources is not allowed".

As my new msi contains no new files, just replacing an existing file with one with an increased version number, I'm at a loss.

Is this a known bug and if so, is there a resolution out there?

Lloyd_Bela
02-14-2003, 09:02 AM
I could not. I ended up making only full installs. :( I have not tried IS 8.