PDA

View Full Version : Creating a "Run From Network" Installation

BigEars
07-24-2002, 02:45 AM
Hi,

I am required to build an install with the option for the user to "run from network". I am unsure of the steps involved for me to do this.

Q1. Will i have to create seperate installs for this option ?

Q2.Has anyone got any information on the requirments involved to achieve this.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Peerke
07-24-2002, 03:38 AM
You could put the install on the network and select run-from-source for all features.

BigEars
07-24-2002, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Peerke
You could put the install on the network and select run-from-source for all features.

Thanks Peerke,

I have put the install on the network and when i run the install i choose the Option, "This Feature and all SubFeatures, will be installed to run from the network".

I have set all the features to in the Features Veiw" Remote Installation" option to Favour Source. and also all the files in each Merge Module Components veiw to Favour Source.

On doing this the files still seem to get installed locally when i would like them to remain on the networked PC.

Am i still missing out something ?

Thanks
BigEars

Peerke
07-24-2002, 09:59 AM
Could you create a logfile, and verify that the features are installing to run from source?

(msiexec /i packagename.msi /l*v c:\logfile.txt)

Regards,

Peerke

Glytzhkof
09-27-2003, 03:34 PM
You need to change the remote installation property for each component from "Favor local" to "Optional" in order for the user selection "run from source" to affect where the components are installed. More here: http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/isnews/200102/CustomSetupOptions.htm