PDA

View Full Version : SystemSearch sequence issues

rrussell
07-23-2002, 09:42 PM
Hi,
I want to check the version of a file and set an associated property based on what version of the file is installed. The SystemSearch will allow you to find a file based on the version/date/size. (which is cool by the way). To do this you can search for the file in two manners - search in a folder and search all drives. I'm attempting to use a folder that was stored in a property in an earlier search. To make things more complicated my previous search depends on a dynamic registry key. So I have two searches - one to find the dynamic key and the next to search that dynamic key for the folder where this file exists. Still with me? So the search looks like this:
1) find 'CurVer' in HKLM\Software\Company\Version and store in CURVER
2) find 'Path' in HKLM\Software\Company\Version\[CURVER] and store in PATH
3) find file.exe in PATH (between version min = 21.0.0.0 and max = 21.0.0.0 ) and store in FILE2002

This is not working and it calls into question in what order do the RegLocator table entries get executed. Can I force the sequence I want? Is it a matter of creating the search in the right order? I've tested the dynamic key searching and that seemed to work with a hard-coded property set but perhaps it doesn't work when MSI has to set it. (OR as is my hunch it doesn't set that property in time for the search to execute properly)

Thanks for tredging through this one,
Rob
:confused:

AnandDvd
07-24-2002, 03:27 AM
Hi Rob,
Could you let me know how you are searching for a registry key?
Also what do you mean by a dynamic key?
Anand

Peerke
07-24-2002, 03:45 AM
From the SDK:

The AppSearch action searches for signatures using the CompLocator table first, the RegLocator table next, then the IniLocator table, and finally the DrLocator table.

I guess it executes these tables row-by-row.

This indicates that if your search doesn't work, the properties don't get expanded properly.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rene