PDA

View Full Version : Modification Date day/month swapping

TONeil
07-23-2002, 04:23 PM
A date inversion between a file's Modification date and what InstallShield is showing as a file's modification date in the component file display seems to be occuring. I have several files which are dated 2 July 2002 for the modification date according to Windows. InstallShield is displaying 7 Feb 02 as the component file modification date for these files. This month/day date swap occurs on other files in the build where the date's day of the month is less than or equal to 12. On files where the day of the month is greater than 12, the correct date is displayed.

TONeil
07-24-2002, 10:41 AM
The problem noted stems from a control panel Regional Option. The short date custom format string was "dd mmm yy". Changing the date to a standard "m/d/yyyy" clears up the display problem. Although, this is a workaround and not a problem fix.

Keppler
07-24-2002, 10:51 AM
And for the millions of us for whom "m/d/yyyy" is not standard? ....

TONeil
07-24-2002, 02:43 PM
My point was that control panel Regional Options date strings like "M/d/yyyy", "M/d/yy", "MM/d/yy", "MM/d/yyyy", "yy/MM/dd", and "yyyy-MM-dd" show the same result in the Modified column of both Windows Explorer and the InstallShield Files display in the Components Advanced view.

For the control panel Regional Options date view, a custom string such as "d MMM yy" displays "2 Jul 02" in the Windows Explorer Modified column and "7 Feb 02" in the InstallShield’s Components Advanced View, File, Modified Column. All files, which have a day value less than 13, swap the month/day similarly. All files with a day greater than 12 do not swap the month/day in the InstallShield display. InstallShield also similarly misrepresents other regional settings with such a day-Month-year Regional Option ordering. The Windows Explorer representation in all cases was the correct actual date.

Sorry for any confusion. I am unsure if this display anomaly affects any actual kit installation behavior or if this is not an API rather than InstallShield specific behavior.

Keppler
07-25-2002, 04:25 AM
Yip, I understood the situation you're describing, but my comment was not aimed at you, so apologies on that..

Rather, if the windows installer component table misrepresents the date in such a way, I think it would be a cause for concern, don't you..

Speaking for those who are not resident in the US, and for whom a dd/mm/yyyy format is natural, and anything else a crime against nature, I certainly don't want to change my OS locale to something alien....

I shall check this out a bit further...