PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall Leaves Files

dstmartin
07-23-2002, 09:14 AM
I'm fairly new to ISD 7.04 and have encountered a problem with files being left after uninstall. Everything works fine when I stick with the default INSTALLDIR. However, when I alter the install location via AskDestPath() and subsequently setting INSTALLDIR to the resultant path from that dialog, the files are not uninstalled. I've experimented with resetting the INSTALLDIR to the correct install path when in Maintenance Mode, but get the same results. The Permanent flag, and Shared settings are correct, and, as I've said, the uninstall works fine using the default path. It's only when the path is altered that I encounter the problem.

What am I doing wrong?

Joshua
07-23-2002, 09:34 AM
I would suggest checking the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs

Is your file that isn't being removed listed here? If so, it is being used by another application, and therefore will not be removed.

dstmartin
07-23-2002, 09:54 AM
No the files are not listed there -- also, ALL files are left. It's as if the INSTALLDIR path is incorrect when the uninstall is run.

VVerner
07-23-2002, 02:37 PM
I have the same problem on the main machine, where I develop and test.

Trying to install and uninstall on another machine: All works fine.

I suspect that there are entries left in the system (I also have checked in the Win Registry and have deleted suspicious ;-) entries) and earlier deinstallation have not been done correctly. Probably the Software Uninstall was not used once but the Test Installation has been just deleted in the Explorer.

May be, s.one can give a hint how I may also correct this problem on my machine.

Best,

cg8189
07-23-2002, 03:30 PM
I have a simular issue. Whenever i do a major upgrade on my install and then do an uninstall there are 4 dlls that remain in the program's install directory. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Corey

dstmartin
07-23-2002, 04:02 PM
As far as DLL's go -- check to see if the "Shared" property is set on the Component in which the DLL files reside. You might also take a peek in the registry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs

and check whether they are there and what the Ref Count looks like . . .