PDA

View Full Version : Minor Update

LOGITRAM
07-09-2002, 11:11 AM
Can we od with ISX a minor update ? (replace only some file)
thanks

johnhind
07-09-2002, 01:13 PM
Sorry, what do you mean ?

John

Chandima
07-09-2002, 04:24 PM
If you mean something similar to a patch (mind you this is NOT a patch):

1. Create a new project
2. Add the file(s) you want to add/replace
3. Go to General Information View
4. Set "Use Add/Remove" programs to "No"
5. Build and install

This will install these files and NOT register this setup with the Windows Installer. So you can pretty much run this setup over and over again and it will simply copy those files. The Windows Installer file versioning rules will still apply.

LOGITRAM
07-10-2002, 03:38 AM
Hummm.. there isn't field "Use Add/Remove" in the General Information !

Chandima
07-10-2002, 11:43 AM
I'm sorry! This was added with Express 3.54.

LOGITRAM
07-11-2002, 03:27 AM
I have install ISX 3.54.. I think that I do change the product code... but there is a problem... What is the *.msi file ... 33Mb ! my cab make only 5.3Mb... how can I change the msi file if we can..? Thanks

LOGITRAM
07-11-2002, 11:27 AM
I tried to use ISX3.54 . The recording of files DLL does not seem to comply! Indeed if I update manually the program by using the command regsvr32.exe it work!
I joint my MSI file.

LOGITRAM
07-12-2002, 09:13 AM
The problem with "Set " Use Add " programs to "No." is that files to be updated are not replaced! I should erase them manually so that InstallShield executes an update and replace them !

Chandima
07-12-2002, 11:30 AM
The files are not getting updated because the Windows Installer detects them to be the same version. If these are Versioned files you can increase the exe, dll and ocx version numbers and try again.

Does this update install anything to the System or Windows folder? If not, try running the setup with the following Command Line and see if it updates the files:

Setup.exe /v"REINSTALLMODE=amus"

This should force the installer to re-install all the files regardless of version or date (this includes non-versioned files as well).

In the post before that, did you mean that some of your DLLs are not registered at runtime? If so, which ones are they (I downloaded your project).

LOGITRAM
07-15-2002, 03:08 AM
I tried to upgrade only the EXE.. because we did not change the number of the version of the DLL but the result is the same !

this command changes nothing : Setup.exe /v"REINSTALLMODE=amus"

BUT.... Can you give a answer about : Can we do a update of our product whit ISX 3.54 ???
We can do a good Master installation of our application but now we want to do a upgrade ! :
1- the files aren't replace !
2- the *.msi file makes 33mb !! for an upgrade of 5mb ! Total 35mb !!! why ?

Must we use IS DEV ??

Chandima
07-18-2002, 11:54 AM
The workaround I gave is an alternative to true msi patching. Express does not support this. If you want Patching capability then I am afraid you will have to use InstallShield Developer. However Msi Patching by itself has it's own set of limitations and problems so I suggest you try using a the Developer Evaluation version first to see if it accomplishes what you want.