PDA

View Full Version : Shortcut and argument

Flash Koti
07-09-2002, 05:18 AM
Hello,

I use IE 3.0 and I create shortcut with argument.
But if the user click on the shortcut, the installation programe run again (gathering information) and launch my program normaly.
When the user reclick, it does the same, why ? The propriety of the shortcut create are also disable (in grey) ?

Please Help me, I gone Crazy.
Flash Koti
PS : Sorry for my English

Chandima
07-09-2002, 04:21 PM
Please do a search in the "General" section for Advertised shortcuts. This is happening because Express creates and Advertised Shortcut by default. During the install a file or reg entry or something didn't seem to get installed so when you try to run it the Windows Installer is trying to add the file again. What operating system does this happen on? Are you including any of the files in the following link?

http://www.microsoft.com/data/MDAC25info/MDAC25SP2Manifest.htm

Flash Koti
07-10-2002, 01:32 AM
Hello,

My OS is W98 and my shortcut point on a file of the installation.
For the search, I 've make before post my message but I make a mistake on 'advertised' so I think, it doesn't apply to my problem. I will try the topic and see if it 's better.

Thank for the help

Flash Koti

Flash Koti
07-12-2002, 09:40 AM
Hello,

I 've found the topic but the solution was the same than my tempory soluce, I fixe the traget to a shortcut static and installshiel when running the install, copy the parametre of my shortcut. It works only if the user doesn't change the path of the install :confused:

Did you have any other soluce ?

Flash Koti

Chandima
07-12-2002, 11:34 AM
One more thing to try. Try running your setup with the following Command Line and see if the problem still occurs:

Setup.exe /v"DISABLEADVTSHORTCUTS=1"

If this causes the problem it's not to do with the shortcut. Something the file needs is not getting installed. Are you trying to install anything to the System or Windows folders? If so what DLL's are they? If you want you can zip up your project and post it here and I can see if there are any obvious files that should not be redistributed.

Flash Koti
07-15-2002, 03:08 AM
I 've just try the line of command and the problem didn't occurs this time. So what it 's next ?

The shortcut execute a excutable file. The file is choose by the list, (it 's in the project) and the argument in taped in the line argument without bracelet.
line of target <installdir>/system/htbrun.exe
line of arg -ALT ariane.prg

Thanks
Flash

Chandima
07-18-2002, 12:14 PM
This problem with Advertised shortcuts has been there in Express for a while and we finally fixed this Express 3.54. In versions of Express before that whenever you create a shortcut by default Express creates an Advertised shortcut (which is what is causing this problem). In 3.54 we let you create normal shortcuts as well. Here is something you could try that has worked for a few people.

1. Open the project in Express
2. Delete the shortcut
3. Save and close the project
4. Reopen the project
5. Create a new shortcut and this time manually TYPE in the target as [INSTALLDIR]\MyFile.exe instead of selecting it from the drop down.
6. Save, build and install.

If this doesn't work:
1. Is this an uncompressed setup?
2. Do you have ORCA?

Flash Koti
07-19-2002, 01:45 AM
I can respond immediatly at your question, the project is compressed and I don't have ORCA.

I will try the tips as soon as possible (I work on a other project).

Thank for you help.

Flash Koti

Flash Koti
07-22-2002, 05:01 AM
Hello,

Your tips didn't work.

I will try to update if it solve my problem.

Thanks

Flash Koti