PDA

View Full Version : is Installshield Express really made for VB projects?

John1234
07-01-2002, 09:42 AM
Hi,

We recently bought Installshield Express 3.5 to create SetUp for programs written in VB6. I begin to think that we have made a mistake and that we should have continued using the Microsoft Package and Deployment Wizard.
I scanned my VB project but I had the following problems:
1. IS Express doesn't read the .dep files (located in the system folder with all my ocx and dll). So a lot of dependencies are missing. Of course I can read the .dep files myself and add them to my project but I am very surprised that IS Express doesn't it automatically.
2. IS Express doesn't even include the VB Runtime

regards

John

johnhind
07-06-2002, 12:43 PM
I would guess that 80% or more of IE users are installing a VB application. I suggest you reply with your .ism file and .vbp file and we can see what files should be included.

John

Chandima
07-09-2002, 04:13 PM
What version of Express are you using. Express 3.54 shipped with a totally overhauled VB Wizard and it functions MUCH better than the one in 3.53. Also I know that it scans dep files now.

jsmock
07-17-2002, 08:49 AM
I also bought the product in hopes of a largely automatic process. Although the product does have many advantages, I have never seen it correctly scan a VB project. My scan results have always been wrong, either missing files or adding files that should not really be included. I have had to go over every ISE project with a fine tooth comb, manually adding and removing files, in order to get a reliable result. The PDW has done a better job scanning projects but it has other problems and deficiencies.

Bottom line: You have to get down into the mudd on this one and learn all of the gory details of 'DLL Hell'. You'll find a rat's nest of compatibility issues, dependancy file errors, component licensing bugs, etc. You'll also find that while the ISE documentation does explain WHAT the product can do, it does not supply very much of the HOW. I guess they assume that most people using their product already know a great deal about OCX's, component registration, the Windows Registry, etc.

Visual Basic is easy to learn and program but when it comes time to distribute your application you'll find that the true knowledge requirements of this development environment are far greater than it first appears.