PDA

View Full Version : Deleting unused items

CArends
06-20-2002, 12:55 PM
How can I delete items that I no longer need or were made purely for testing purposes?

I would like to get rid of a Product that I added but I can only set its status to Inactive. The same goes for versions beneath the product.

Also, in "Company Center | Edit Company Info" I can add logos but I cannot delete them. This doesn't bother me much since its not being stored on my system but I would like to be generous to the InstallShield server and remove any logos I'm no longer using.

Chris Woerner
06-20-2002, 01:09 PM
You are correct to set the status to inactive. Do that for both the test products and test versions. Once you do that, you can choose to view inactive products (or not) using the check box just above the product list.

Did you see that check box? Did it not work as you expected?

CArends
06-20-2002, 02:25 PM
Yes, I saw the check box. I'm just curious why I can't delete entries altogether. It just seems to me that it's a waste of InstallShield server space to leave products and versions on disk that are never going to be used again. Same goes for the unused logos.

In other words, what is the design reason as to why versions and products cannot be deleted? I understand why it might not be disirable but I think it should be the decision of the product manager to delete it or not.

If InstallShield is happy leaving unused records on the server then that's fine by me.

Chris Woerner
06-20-2002, 02:38 PM
I understand the desire just to purge the old data. Delete/Inactive was a topic of consideration here. The design decision was made to error on the side of safety. If we allow true delete (remove the row from the DB), then someone could made a mistake that cannot be undone without re-entering data. In a production environment with millions of users, that could cause a few headaches.

Having said that, we have gotten many requests for true delete. So, we may revisit this decision in a later release (or allow both).

I appreciate the feedback.