PDA

View Full Version : Admin-Rights for Upgrade?

edbsolutions
06-14-2002, 04:01 AM
If I use the Installshield Updateservice on a Machine where the existing user has no Admin-Rights - is it possible to upgrade the application?

At first time the Setup (First release) was installed with Admin-Rights (from the Administrator) - after that the user logs on with no Admin-Rights but the user sould be able to start an upgrade if it exists!

robert

Chris Woerner
06-14-2002, 10:53 AM
Can the update run without admin rights? The Update Service will notify your customer and deliver the update. But the update itself is still created in either Express/ Professional/ Developer. Have you created an update that can run without administrator rights?

edbsolutions
06-14-2002, 11:07 AM
Hello,

Yes, I can run a Setup.exe in Admin mode because I have written a small service programm which runs under "LocalSystems" and which are starting the Setup.exe.

I do not understand why Installshield does'nt provide us with this functionality?

robert:)

Chris Woerner
06-14-2002, 04:15 PM
This may sound like a stupid question, but if you were going to do this without the Update Service, how would you tell your service to run the update package (setup.exe)? Do you call it via commandline and pass the location of the setup.exe?

edbsolutions
06-15-2002, 12:36 AM
The Service is not yet completed but it looks into a database or on a Fileserver if a new Setup.exe is availible at Startup.
If a new Version is availble the Service will start the new Setup.exe!

robert