PDA

View Full Version : Where to Set the PatchFile path in my VB Program?

ponraj_ts
06-06-2002, 11:45 AM
Hello Everyone !..

I would very much appreciate if anyone could tell me where to Set the Patch Setup files path for my application??

Thanks,
Pon.

Chris Woerner
06-06-2002, 12:10 PM
If I understand your question correctly, you are trying to figure out where to enter the location of your updates (URL)?

You don't need to build the location of the download into your application. Rather, you enter that location on our Publisher website. It works like this.....

Your application talks to our runtime. Our runtime talks with our webserver.

Our webserver returns information on available updates (including the URL) to our runtime. Our runtime displays the UI. If the customer chooses to install the update, the runtime will download the patch and apply it.

The advantage of doing this is that you don't need to know the URL of the update when your product ships. You can also change the URL anytime you want or even publish more than one update URL for a product.

Please repost if I didn't answer your question.

ponraj_ts
06-06-2002, 02:37 PM
Hello Chris !...

Thanks for your reply....Thatz the anwser I was expecting...but I don't see any area in which I can enter the URL of the Update patch file...

I registered a Product in Installshield update service website.. Now I am tring to Add a Update Version.... But It asks me to enter only the Version Number but not the Path to File...

Am Using a Trail Update Service Account Which will end next Month. Does it matter??

Awaiting your reply..

Thanks in Advance..
Pon.

Chris Woerner
06-06-2002, 03:09 PM
Messages are used to assign the update URL. Think of the Message as an update that you are sending to one (or more) of your product version(s). The update message takes your product from one version to the next.

Why did we do this in the message and not the version? It allows you to create multiple updates going to the same product version. For example, you may want to publish two updates. The first is an update to your data files. The second is a program update. Using messages, you can create two different update messages that apply to the same product.

We use this feature to publish updates to third party technologies(like DirectX, ODBC, etc...) as seperate updates. Users can choose which one to apply.