PDA

View Full Version : Localization in DS7.x

fxsdcc
05-28-2002, 01:27 AM
Hi,
I meet some problems in my development. Could you provide some suggestions?
I have DS7.01 and language packs, I want to develop a CD Navigator to support 11 languages for example. The first point I WONDER is that can I combined all the translated strings into ONE txt file like:
[mydemo.dbd]
ENU=
FRA=
CHS=
PTG=
ESM=

[ENU.main]
translated strings

[FRA.main]
translated strings

[CHS.main]
translated strings

[PTG.main]
translated strings

[ESM.main]
translated strings

I'm not sure, but I tried several time, the DS can just recongnize the txt file saved with ANSI, but not the unicode. If it is correct, can ANSI support so many languages?

I also want to know if Arabic be support by DS7.01, I read the help of the DS, it shows that Arabic doesn't be support, but in many articles in this community, I found the language extension for Arabic.

KimberlyH
05-28-2002, 11:37 AM
Yes, you will need to incorporate all the languages you are localizing to into a single .txt file. Therefore, it would look like how you have listed in your posting. DemoShield does not support unicode saves of the .txt file. Therefore, you will need to localize for each language on a language specific operating system. For example, if you want to translate the text to Chinese, you would need to localize for that language on a Chinese operating system and save on that system. If the next language is to be translated to German, simply copy the file to a German operating system and translate for that language on that system. Then, save the file on that system. The Chinese characters may appear garbled under the German os. However, they will appear correctly when the demo is played on a Chinese operating system.

Unfortunately, DemoShield does not currently support Arabic language as one of the translation strings.

All the best,

fxsdcc
05-28-2002, 08:50 PM
Thanks, Kimberly!
It looks work well.

LindaT
11-08-2002, 10:51 AM
I have a problem with getting my CD Browser to display correct signs in greek. The .dat files are translated at a Greek os, so as far as I understand it should work. It works at alla other languages including Chinese, so I can not understand why it does not work for Greek. I am using Demo Shield 6.5.

Can you help me out with this matter? We are in a critical part of a very important project for our company, so I would very much appreciate your help! Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by KimberlyH
Yes, you will need to incorporate all the languages you are localizing to into a single .txt file. Therefore, it would look like how you have listed in your posting. DemoShield does not support unicode saves of the .txt file. Therefore, you will need to localize for each language on a language specific operating system. For example, if you want to translate the text to Chinese, you would need to localize for that language on a Chinese operating system and save on that system. If the next language is to be translated to German, simply copy the file to a German operating system and translate for that language on that system. Then, save the file on that system. The Chinese characters may appear garbled under the German os. However, they will appear correctly when the demo is played on a Chinese operating system.

Unfortunately, DemoShield does not currently support Arabic language as one of the translation strings.

All the best,

KimberlyH
11-08-2002, 11:24 AM
When translating your data to a different language you will need to make sure you are using a font that is specific to the language you are translating to. Since you are translating to Greek, you will need to make sure you use a font specific to the Greek language.

Another thing to remember when translating in DemoShield 6.5 is that when you save the .dat file for the Greek language you will need to select Save As to save the .dat file and select the language you would like to save it as under the Files of Type drop down in the Save As dialog.

I would also recommend making sure you are using the latest update to DemoShield 6.5. If you have not done so already, you can download the latest maintenance release to DemoShield 6.5 from the following URL:

http://www.installshield.com/downloads/

I hope this helps.

listlist
11-12-2002, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your help!

Unfortunatley I still won´t get it to work.

When I open a dat file at a greek OS the signs are displayed correctley. But when I run the CD Browser I am not able to see any greek signs.

I try to save the dat file as an .ell file and replace the dat file in my CD Browser file stucture with this .ell file, but it will do no difference.

I also try to adding greek signs directley in my .dat and .ell file to see if it could be a issue of how the translators have saved the file, but the signs that I add are as corrupt displayed as the ones I have got from the translators. The translators are working on a greek os while translating and they work with demo shield, sending me the dat files back. However we always work with .dat files and never with language specific file format such as .ell. Still, the CD Browser works in alla languages including Chinese, turkish etc, except from greek.

Please, if you have any more suggestions how to solve this problem!

Best Regards
Linda

Originally posted by KimberlyH
When translating your data to a different language you will need to make sure you are using a font that is specific to the language you are translating to. Since you are translating to Greek, you will need to make sure you use a font specific to the Greek language.

Another thing to remember when translating in DemoShield 6.5 is that when you save the .dat file for the Greek language you will need to select Save As to save the .dat file and select the language you would like to save it as under the Files of Type drop down in the Save As dialog.

I would also recommend making sure you are using the latest update to DemoShield 6.5. If you have not done so already, you can download the latest maintenance release to DemoShield 6.5 from the following URL:

http://www.installshield.com/downloads/

I hope this helps.