PDA

View Full Version : Single executable blows up on NT 4.0

Rick R.
05-24-2002, 03:56 PM
Greetings,

Using 7.01 on a win2000 box...Have built a CD on which I have several mpg files which are used by a small app. This app is in the form of a single .exe, made by your distribution process tool, which is about 2 MB in size. In XP, Win2000 or Win98, the exe opens just fine, and I can then click and run the app which is importing the mpg files into a page. On NT 4.0, I get the following msg:

'The instruction at "0x77e78784" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be read." and an ok and cancel option.

This happens whether or not I pull the exe from the cd to a local drive or run it from the cd drive.

I can provide the dbd and mpg files upon request privately if it will help. Thanks for any help....

Rick R.

Rick R.
05-28-2002, 09:27 AM
I am bumping this thread, because I really need some help here. I feel like everything was done correctly per all help and documentation which comes with my 7.01 upgrade, but I do not have an extended support contract yet, and don't want to spend the money if this is not my fault. I also cannot find anything in the knowledge base which applies, except for possibly a .dsj problem, but the single executable instructions do not say to bundle anything else with the .exe file which is created.

Rick

KimberlyH
05-28-2002, 11:43 AM
I suspect the problem is probably coming from the video format. DemoShield does not officially support MPG video format for playback within a demo. Therefore, we cannot predict how it will playback through a demo.

I typically recommend using the Streaming Media Object when using MPG video in a demo. The Sreaming Media Object will allow you to stream files both locally and from a server. Since you have the video files already imported into the demo, you can set up your Streaming Media Object with the following path:

If the video files are embedded the path should look something like this:

<temp>videoname.mpg<temp>

If the video files are Imported by Reference then the path should look something like this:

<path>videoname.mpg<path>

For more information in regards to MPG video playback and the Streaming Media Object, please refer to Knowledge Base article:

Q106342 - INFO: Does DemoShield Support MPG Video Format?

If this does not help, I will need for you to send the .dbd file and .mpg videos so I can test this further. If the files are under 2 megs in size you can zip them up and post them to this string. If they are over 2 megs in size you can upload them to our ftp server at: ftp://ftp.installshield.com/incoming

Username: anonymous
Password: your email address

Once the files are uploaded, post a message letting me know they are available and the filename.

All the best,

Rick R.
05-28-2002, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the response! I neglected to mention I am using the streaming media option in this app when I play the mpg videos. I will send the dbd that is made and the .exe, as well as some small versions of the mpg files.

Rick R.
05-28-2002, 03:39 PM
Ms. Haffey, I uploaded the files to \incoming under RickR.zip, and also PMed you with further information. Thanks for your time.

Rick

KimberlyH
05-29-2002, 09:10 AM
The problem you are experiencing appears to be a problem with the single executable distribution created via the Distribution Wizard. The single executable distribution is created by using the PFTWwiz.exe file found under the EXE Build directory where DemoShield is installed on your system. The files were updated for the DemoShield 7.01 maintenance release. However, it appears that this build creates an error when running the single exe on Win NT operating systems.

To correct this issue, I would recommend copying the attached files into the EXE Build directory. The path to the directory should look something like this:

C:\Program Files\InstallShield\DemoShield 7.0\Tools\EXEBuild

Unzip the attached file and copy the pftwwiz.exe and stub32i.exe into the EXEBuild folder. You will be prompted to overwrite the existing files in this directory. Select Yes.

Rebuild the single executable distribution and then test on a Win NT operating system.

I hope this helps.

Rick R.
05-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Kim, I did as you requested...however, on my DS app, you need to drill down one additional directory to \pftw, in order to get the overwrite msg....I did this. Now, when I go to the distribution wizard, the Single Executable option is no longer there...I only have

CD Browser, Demohelp, Demox, Demonow,Setup Wizard, and Simple...what now?

Rick

KimberlyH
05-29-2002, 10:32 AM
Try copying the pftwwiz.exe and stub32i.exe directly into the EXEBuild folder where DemoShield is installed on your system. The following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\DemoShield\7.0\Designer\DemoWizard\ExeBuildLocation

is most likely pointing to the EXEBuild directory for the pftwwiz.exe and stub32i.exe files to build the single executable. If the DemoShield cannot find the application, then it will not be displayed in the Distribution Wizard.

I hope this helps.

Rick R.
05-29-2002, 11:22 AM
OK,
Moving the two files back into the EXEbuild folder did make the single exe option show up again, however after rebuilding the single exe, it still behaves the same way on the NT box....I am assuming all I needed to do was restart the DS app after I did that....those two files you gave me both had 1999 dates on them, for what it is worth....appreciate the effort, but should this be escalated? I have thousands of CDs about to be burned in a week or so and I am getting very nervous about this..appreciate the help so far.

Rick

KimberlyH
05-29-2002, 11:34 AM
I was able to build a single exe distribution of your demo using the pftwwiz.exe and stub32i.exe files I provided earlier. I am uploading the files to our ftp server and will email you with the location.

If you have a newer version of the pftwwiz.exe and stub32i.exe still on your system, try removing these and then rebuilding the distribution to see if this corrects the issue for you.

Another option is to uninstall and then reinstall DemoShield. After reinstalling, copy the pftwwiz.exe and stub32i.exe files into the EXEBuild directory.

I hope this helps.

Rick R.
05-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Kim, when you invoked the exe you made, did you then click on it in a Win NT 4.0 environment and it came up?

KimberlyH
05-29-2002, 12:09 PM
Yes, I built the single executable through the Distribution Wizard running on a Win NT 4.0 SP6 operating system. I then tested the single executable build by double-clicking on it and launching the demo.

I hope this helps.

Rick R.
05-29-2002, 12:17 PM
yes but did you build it on a DS running on win2000? My dev box is win2000...

KimberlyH
05-29-2002, 01:53 PM
I have created a single executable of your demo on both Win NT and Win 2000 operating systems using the pftwwiz.exe and stub32i.exe files I provided earlier. Both times I was able to executable the single exe file without difficulties on both the Win NT and Win 2000 systems.

Are you having difficulties executing the single exe of your demo that I provided you?

If so, are you still receiving an error?

All the best,