PDA

View Full Version : localization

danman
05-23-2002, 08:13 AM
I've been reading about translating the text and understand completely about using the single demo.txt file for DemoShield 7.01.

As Shawna writes:

'The localization method has changed from 6.x to 7.0, and now you only need one text file instead of mulitple ones.'

However, is it at all possible to have multiple text files within country specific language folders?

We ship our product to 36 countries and each country will send back a translated text file. It'd be alot easier to add this file to the 'FRA' folder for example. Rather than copying and pasting the translated text.

Any suggestions?

KimberlyH
05-23-2002, 08:43 AM
Unfortunately, in DemoShield 7.0x, the translated strings for all languages must reside in a single .txt file which will need to be placed in the same directory as the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe).

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

danman
05-23-2002, 08:59 AM
OK?

From the manual (p.9-11) AND online help (How do I distribute a localized file):

'You can distribute localized file in one of two methods:

1. Placing the localized TXT files in the same folder with the Demo.
2. Creating separate language directories to hold the localized files.'

Is there any way we can get the separate folder method to work as countries have already started translating this way?!

-dan-

KimberlyH
05-23-2002, 09:05 AM
Language specific directories would be used to hold localized resource files such as graphics, .rtfs, sound or video). Therefore, the directory structure would look something like this:

Root:

autorun.inf
launch.exe
launch.ini
Bin
- demo32.exe
- demo.dbd
- demo.txt
- FRA
- graphic.bmp
- sound.wav
- DEU
- graphic.bmp
- sound.wav
- CHS
- graphic.bmp
- sound.wav

However, the localized text for the demo would need to be added to the demo.txt file.

I hope this helps.

danman
05-23-2002, 09:16 AM
Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for your prompt replies in this matter - helps alot.

However, I must quote the online help once again:

'For instance, if you are localizing your Demo to German, you can create a directory in the folder where the Demo is located called DEU. You can then place your localized German .TXT file ... in this folder. '

See where I get confused?

-dan-