PDA

View Full Version : select languge automatically in language selection dialog box

caculus
05-17-2002, 07:18 PM
I create a demo support multiple languages. In the language Selection dialog box, it doesn't seem that demoshield can automatically detect the locale and set the language accordingly. For my case, we have Chinese,English,French ,German,Japanese and Korean. Those languge names list in the dropdown list in alphbetic order, therefore no matter on what platform, the user always sees "Chinese" as the default option. I disable the language selection box, it ended with always launching in English,the default language.

I'm using DemoShiled 6.71. Is there a way to automatically detect
locale and put that languges as the first item in dropdown list of the language selection box?

Thanks,

KimberlyH
05-20-2002, 10:08 AM
When the language selection dialog option is selected, a drop down dialog will appear to allow you to select the language you would like to view the demo in. The list of languages the demo has been localized to will appear in alphabetical order with the first language - alphabetically - appearing first regardless of the language the system is set to.

You mention that when you unselect the language selection dialog the demo always launches in English - which is the default language for the demo. If this is the case, it sounds as though the localized language files are either not being found or may not have been saved properly.

When localizing the .dat file for your demo, did you localize on language specific operating systems using the DemoText Editor?

Also, did you save the localized .dat files with the language specific file extensions by selecting Save As and then selecting the language from the Save As Type drop down in the Save As dialog?

Are the localized .dat files in the same location as the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe)?

Do the language files have the same filename as the demo (ie: demo.dbd, demo.dat, demo.fra, demo.deu, demo.chs etc...)?

I look forward to hearing from you.

caculus
05-21-2002, 07:53 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the response, see my in-line comment.

"When localizing the .dat file for your demo, did you localize on language specific operating systems using the DemoText Editor? "

-No, the way we localize it is that we put the strings in a text file and send it to translators, when they send the translated files back, we use Demo Text Editor on English w2k and copy paste those strings. If we choose a language in language selection dialog box, it works with all those languages. Is that absolutely required that the .dat be localized on language specific OS?

"Also, did you save the localized .dat files with the language specific file extensions by selecting Save As and then selecting the language from the Save As Type drop down in the Save As dialog?"

-No, I just save it as .dat file and then rename it with appropriate extension. So is there some flag that will be written when you choose the format from the drop down in the Save As dialog?
I will try it.

"Are the localized .dat files in the same location as the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe)?"

- They are in the same location, the localized .dat is one level below in a directory named with the language extesion:
the structure of the directory is like:
.\
demo32.exe
mydemo.dbd
\enu\mydemo.enu
\deu\mydemo.deu
\fra\mydemo.fra

Is that OK?

"Do the language files have the same filename as the demo (ie: demo.dbd, demo.dat, demo.fra, demo.deu, demo.chs etc...)? "

- Yes.

Thanks

KimberlyH
05-22-2002, 07:51 AM
We do recommend localizing the .dat file on the language specific operating system for the language you are localizing to. The reason for this is that some languages use language specific characters which are not supported on an English os. However, if you are able to get them to appear correctly, then this should not be a problem.

However, you will need to perform a Save As of the localized language file within the DemoText Editor and then select the language you are localizing to from the Files of Type drop down within the Save As dialog. This enters a numeric code within the language file so DemoShield can compare to the opearting system the user is running.

I did want to mention that the DemoText Editor is a freely distributable editing tool that you can distribute to your translators to use in translating the text files. Simply export the text from your demo. Then, send the .dat file and DemoText Editor for translations.

I hope this helps.

caculus
05-22-2002, 05:19 PM
Thank you very much for your advise. I will work on it and inform you the result. I do want to disturibute Demo Text editor to translators and would like to know where they can download it. I'm using DemoShield 6.7. Please give me the link to download DemoShield editor for V6.7.

Once thing you might be interested to know is that we find out is that when we localize multi-bytes characters such as Chinese and Japanese, the translators need to save the translation in a notepad on a language specific OS, for example, save the chinese in a notepad on a Chinese W2K. When it's saved, the format must be ANSI. Then we open this file on English w2k and do copy&paste in DemoShiled Editor. Although they show as garbage characters on English w2k, they will be shown properly on their language OS( for example, on Chinese w2k). We tried to use other format (for example, UTF-8), they don't work.

Thanks.

KimberlyH
05-23-2002, 08:39 AM
The DemoText Editor can be found in the Program folder where DemoShield is installed on your system. The path to the directory should look something like this:

C:\Program Files\InstallShield\DemoShield 6.7\Program

The filename for the DemoText Editor is:

demotext.exe

You can send your translators this file to translate the text for your demo.

I hope this helps.