PDA

View Full Version : Long delay after "Launch Application"

walkerb
05-16-2002, 04:20 PM
Demoshield 7.0

My CD Browser detects if Acrobat reader exists, and if not, I fire an event which un-hides a dialog prompting the user to install Acrobat, or not. If they select install, I have a launch application which will install Adobe Acrobat Reader, and when that is done, the dialog is hidden again. There seems to be a long delay between the time Adobe Acrobat Reader finishes, and when my next action fires, which would hide my dialog. It takes about 10-20 seconds before control returns to Demoshield. How can I fix this problem? I have the action set to wait until the action is finished, but it seems to wait a bit too long.

Shawna
05-16-2002, 04:28 PM
The lag time you are seeing is actually a "clean up" time when the install is finishing up the install and cleaning out the Temp directory, etc. So DemoShield does not see that the install is done until then even though it appears done to the user.

The suggestion that I would make is that you have the Wait for Application to End option set to No. This will cause the dialog to be hidden directly after the install is launched, but my guess is that the install probably covers most of the demo, so hopefully this will not be a big problem.

walkerb
05-16-2002, 04:44 PM
I was afraid that might be the case.
Is there any way to "simulate" this type of modal behaviour, maybe by pausing the demo ... or something?
I really don't want the user to be able to Alt-Tab and bring the demo to the forefront and be clicking around in it while Acrobat Reader is installing. They could launch multiple installs that way.

Shawna
05-16-2002, 05:43 PM
Unfortunatly, the only way to pause the demo so that the controls are disabled is to have the Wait for Application to End option set to Yes. If you put a Pause Demo Action on the Scene, that stops the Scene time from advancing, but if the user were to click anywhere in the demo that would reactivate the demo.

So, your two options are to have the app wait and see the lag time or not have the app wait, and then the user will be able to access the demo while the install is running.