PDA

View Full Version : 12 character limitation in Resource Manager?

TylerC
05-15-2002, 11:46 AM
Using DS7, I have imported an avi by reference and found that it won't play. By removing one character from it's file name, it plays fine. The file name is 009a_fedpbnew.avi. I have 45 avi's imported by reference with this same type of naming convention (they only have 10 characters before the extension) which all work.

In the help files, it mentions that the Resource Manager has a limit of 32 characters. What's up?

KimberlyH
05-15-2002, 12:38 PM
I tested this issue using the filename you provided and a video Imported by Reference. I then used a Play Video action within a Bitmap Button, a Quick Video Object and a Streaming media Object. With all three Objects I was able to get the video to play without difficulties.

Since the resource is Imported by Reference, please check the following to make sure they are not contributing to the video not playing:

1. Make sure a copy of the resource resides in the same directory as the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe) and test play the demo using that Player.

2. Make sure a copy of the resource is not in the Temp directory. When test playing the resource from the Resource Manager, a copy of the resource will get placed in the Temp directory. Upon stopping the playback, the resource does not always get cleaned out of the Temp directory and leaves a 0 byte file in the Temp directory. Then, the next time the demo is played through the Player, DemoShield will check the Temp directory first for the resource. If it sees one in there with the same filename it will attempt to use it.

I hope this helps.

TylerC
05-15-2002, 01:09 PM
Hi Kimberly,
#1 - We have the demo.dbd, demo32.exe and a video directory (where we keep all of the avi's) at the same level directory. We have not changed anything from how it worked in DS6.73. 43 of the 45 avi's work fine.
#2 - No avi or demoshield related files reside in the temp directory.

Here's more detailed info on the problem:

The demo.dbd was converted from DS6.73 to DS7, then scene 9 avi's were modified by removing the original 2 and importing by reference the 2 new ones.

Using the player inside of DS7 (shift-F5) I could play the 2 new avi's ONLY if the name was shortened to (example: 009a_fdpbnew.avi). This is why I thought I found a file name length issue. BUT, once I put them on a CD and tried to run the demo off the CD (with the shorter file name), the scene 9 avi's STILL would not play. Summary - I can get DS7 to play scene 9 avi's within the developer environment but not outside it.

I can send you a zip file with the project, avi's and DS7 player. What's the FTP address?

Thanks!
Ty

KimberlyH
05-15-2002, 01:12 PM
You can upload the files to the following FTP location:

ftp://ftp.installshield.com/incoming

Username: anonymous
Password: your email address

Once you have uploaded the files, please post a message letting me know they are available and the filename.

I look forward to hearing from you.

TylerC
05-15-2002, 01:31 PM
Hi Kim,
I have posted on the ftp site under "Scene9WontPlayAvis".

Thanks for your help!
Ty

KimberlyH
05-15-2002, 02:11 PM
I took a look at the demo file you sent and noticed upon opening the demo file that the Project Validation dialog appears. DemoShield is able to find all avi files except the two you are experiencing difficulties with: 009a_fdpbnew.avi and 009b_fdpbnew.avi. However, I noticed that DemoShield isn't actually looking for these two files, but instead for two video files named: 009a_edpbnew.avi and 009b_pbnew.avi.

And as I suspected, when I select to browse for the two files DemoShield is unable to find them because they do not exist in the Video folder.

Seeing this happen in the project validation lead me to believe this is probably what is happening when the demo is being played through the Player. Although the resource is listed as 009a_fdpbnew.avi and 009b_fdpbnew.avi in the Resource Manager, the filename is actually listed as: 009a_edpbnew.avi and 009b_pbnew.avi. You can check this by going into the Resource Manager, highlighting the resource and checking the File Information to the right. This may have happened if the resource was renamed within the Resource Manager. The resource gets renamed. However, DemoShield still references the original filename.

To correct this issue I simply reimported the two video files (009a_fdpbnew.avi and 009b_fdpbnew.avi) by reference and DemoShield was then able to pick them up.

I hope this helps.

TylerC
05-15-2002, 04:07 PM
Kim,
Just before I sent the project to you, I changed the names of the scene 9 files to match our conversation. I may have missed something before I sent it to you. I have tried your suggestion many times before.

I have followed your instructions and right now on my machine, the resource manager reads the (current) name of the files correctly and the files exist in the video folder. I have re-imported the 2 avi's and they don't play in the developer! (This happens often but I haven't found the pattern yet. Once and a while the player will play them in the developer and then I will save the project, close the project (and maybe the developer) and will put the project, player and avi's (in folder) on a CD and try to play it from there. It doesn't work and then when I come back to the developer, the 2 avi's won't play there either.)

The Project Validation dialog does not appear on my machine every time I open the project. Is there a way to force that? I suspect that you are correct but I can't "see" the file path without the project validation.

How do I force the project to see the files and the path that are imported?

I am out of ideas and this project is due to final test Thursday.

HELP!

Thanks!
Ty

KimberlyH
05-15-2002, 04:28 PM
I am a little stumped at what may be causing the problem with the video playback. I have not been able to reproduce the issues you describe using the files you sent. To help me test this further I will need some additional information.

When you burn the files to CD are you building a CD Browser distribution? If not, try using the Distribution Wizard to build your CD Browser distribution and then burn the created files to a CD.

What operating system are you testing this on?

Have you tried testing the CD on systems other than the development system?

When running the demo from the CD, how are you launching the demo file?

Try deleting the .dsj file that is created when you save your demo file. The .dsj file keeps track of any resources that have been imported into the demo. You can safely delete this file without disrupting the demo. Then, perform a Save As of the demo and save under a different filename. This will force DemoShield to generate a new .dsj file for your demo.

I look forward to hearing from you.

TylerC
05-15-2002, 04:58 PM
Hi Kim,
Thanks for sticking with this...

I think I found a way to make it work. :D

I changed the name of the 2 avi's in the video folder. I then went to the developer and in the Quick Video event property, I selected the Video Resource from the Quick Video Styles tab. Then I checked the Actions tab to make sure the true actions were set to the 'new' video.

This is a different order than the way I have been working!

I WAS going to the Actions tab FIRST, and selecting the new video. I would then check the Quick Video Styles tab for the Video Resource to make sure it was correct. Doing it this way, I can make it NOT PLAY and by using the order in the paragraph above I can make it play. It even works on a CD! I have not done extensive testing but I have made it work, not work and then work again, so.... I think I have a handle on this issue. Seems to me that there might be a slight bug in the Quick Video event properties area.

Thanks for the help! If you want more detailed, step by step, instructions to see this "fix", just let me know! :)

Ty

PS - I forgot to answer your questions...
I don't use CD browser distribution, Win2000 Pro, Yes, I think so, Using an autorun setup through our one of our programs.

:o Well, I thought I had a handle on it. I just tried to repeat the "correct way" and the avi's didn't play. I don't know what's going on BUT I do have a working copy I can stick in SourceSafe so I won't loose it....

KimberlyH
05-16-2002, 08:18 AM
I will test this further to see if I can reproduce the issues you describe.

With the Quick Video Object it is set up to allow you to select the video you wish to play from the Quick Video Styles tab. Once the video has been selected, DemoShield will automatically create the Play Video action under the True Actions event within the Actions tab. This makes creating a play video action easier without having to manually create the play video action. I have not tried creating a Quick Video Object by assigning the action first. I will test this and see what happens.

Thank you for the feedback. I will let you know how it goes.

KimberlyH
05-16-2002, 09:42 AM
I tested the demo further by importing new video files, then editing the Play Video action within the Quick Video object. Unfortunately, I was not able to reproduce the results you described. All the videos appear to run properly.

I will continue to look into this further to see if I can find anything else that may be causing the problem. In the meantime, I would recommend editing the video file selection through the Quick Video Styles tab to ensure the play video action gets set properly.

All the best,