PDA

View Full Version : DemoShield Crashing

joannef333
05-13-2002, 02:20 PM
Quite often I am finding that DemoShield Crashes while importing a .jpg resource?

KimberlyH
05-14-2002, 09:31 AM
DemoShield does not natively support JPG images. Therefore, when a JPG image is imported into DemoShield, it will be converted to BMP format. Sometimes when converting the JPG to BMP format, the resulting file is actually larger than the 4 meg file size limitation for graphic resources. Therefore, DemoShield cannot handle the resource and shuts down.

I have also noticed that simply resaving the JPG image (performing a save as) will sometimes correct the issue and you will then be able to import the graphic into DemoShield.

However, to avoid this issue, you may want to consider converting the JPG image into BMP or GIF format to ensure DemoShield will accept the file properly.

I hope this helps.

joannef333
05-17-2002, 01:59 PM
I appreciate your answer, and I thought it would suffice. However, I am still having the issue and my image files are not even 1/2 of the 4meg limit? It is very frustrating...

k_e_moeller
05-17-2002, 05:34 PM
Given the ubiquity of JPEG, and the relatively compact file sizes, totally appropriate for screen display, I have always found it bizarre that DemoShield can't/won't accept them as either import or import by reference. Except when it will.

Anyone from Demoshield support care to respond?

Karl M

KimberlyH
05-20-2002, 09:54 AM
At this time DemoShield does not natively support JPEG graphics. When a JPEG graphic is imported into the Image tab of the Resource Manager, the graphic will be converted to BMP format. DemoShield does not natively support JPEG format because this requires a specific driver to display the image.

If you are having difficulties importing a JPEG graphic into your demo presentation you may want to consider converting the graphic to BMP or GIF format. DemoShield natively supports both of these formats.

Otherwise, if you could provide a copy of the JPEG graphic that you are having difficulties with, I would be happy to take a look at it.

All the best,

rvonder
05-23-2002, 05:42 PM
I was having the exact same problem trying to import a tiny 200k JPG file. I could preview it with no trouble, but clicking on "import" would appear to either do nothing (usually) or cause DemoShield to instantly terminate (occasionally).

However, after seeing Kimberly's post, I used IrfanView to convert the image to a .BMP -- and found that the 200k JPG turned into a BMP larger than DS' 4meg limit, which would explain why it didn't work.

So I converted the JPG to a GIF which was actually smaller at 188k, and was able to import that without difficulty.

Sigh....

KimberlyH
05-24-2002, 08:21 AM
Another thing that may be causing the JPG to not import is if the color mode is set to CYMK. The CYMK color mode actually makes the file size of the graphic larger. I found that converting the JPG to RGB color mode allowed me to then import the JPG into Demoshield.

I hope this helps.