PDA

View Full Version : How to reset DS7 player after system Colors and Resolution are changed?

TylerC
05-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Why do the colors or resolution NOT reset in the DemoShield 7 player after the colors or resolution are changed on the user's machine?

To repeat this, set your colors to 256 and your resolution to 640x480 (i know, prehistoric!) and launch a demo in the DS7 player. While it is paused, reset the color from 256 to 16 bit (or resolution from 640x480 to 800x600) and then restart the scene (not the demo).

The only way to get correct colors or resolution (that I have found) is to exit the demo and restart it, then every thing looks great.

Is there a way to re-start the demo from within the project that will accomplish the same results as shutting down the player and re-starting it? I have tried re-starting the scene. Another attempt was to start at the previous scene, that didn't work either. A copy of the test demo is attached.

Thanks again,
Ty

KimberlyH
05-03-2002, 07:54 AM
DemoShield determines the resolution and color depth of the user's system when the demo is being launched. Therefore, if changes are made to the display settings while the demo is running, these will not take effect for the open demo. You will need to stop the demo and restart it for the changes to be noticed.

I hope this helps.

TylerC
05-03-2002, 10:40 AM
I know this is asking a lot, but, is there a way to stop the demo and then restart it from inside the demo?

Thanks!

KimberlyH
05-03-2002, 10:46 AM
Unfortunately, when a Stop Demo action is performed the DemoShield Player is closed. Therefore, to restart the demo file you would need to launch the DemoShield Player again.

Instead, you may want to work with a primary and secondary demo and use a Launch Demo action. This way you can launch the secondary demo from the main demo. Then, the secondary demo can be closed and DemoShield will return to the main demo. If you want to restart the secondary demo, simply relaunch this demo file.

NOTE: I have not tried this while switching the resolution and color depth on the system, so I cannot guarantee the results. Since both demos are actually using the same DemoShield Player, the resolution and color depth change may not take effect. But, it is something worth looking into.

I hope this helps.