PDA

View Full Version : QuickTime auto install - blank install message

tshute
04-30-2002, 02:38 AM
Hi all

I'm a newbie to DemoShield.

I'm trying to create a CD distribution demo and have select Yes to put the QuickTime install stuff on the CD and Yes to auto install.

When running the CD a blank message comes up, with Yes / No buttons. If you click Yes, the QuickTime install starts.

Any ideas why the message box has no caption and no message?

I've attached a .gif to show the blank message box,

Thx

Tim.
==

KimberlyH
04-30-2002, 09:22 AM
What version of DemoShield are you using?

If you open the .ini file that is created with your CD Browser distribution, do you see the following information listed:

QTInstallCaption=Install QuickTime
QTInstallMsg=QuickTime is required for the operation of this demo. Do you want to install QuickTime now?

If not, try adding this to the .ini file and then test the demo launch again.

I hope this helps.

tshute
04-30-2002, 09:30 AM
Hi Kim

It's version 7.01.

I've checked the launch.ini - I've attached it to this post.

Luckily, I checked the old demoshield.support archive and there was a post in there (back in 2000) with some helpful hints. I've managed to use the workaround from that post by creating an event that checks the QuickTime version and, if QT is not installed, displays a menu, with the option to launch the quicktimeinstaller.exe.

This seems to be working fine, but it would be much easier if the Distribution Wizard option worked!

Any ideas?

KimberlyH
05-02-2002, 11:38 AM
Thank you for sending the .ini file. Everything appears to be correct. I have tested this issue using the .ini file you sent and have been unable to reproduce the problem.

What operating system are you testing this on?

Have you been able to reproduce the problem on multiple systems?

I look forward to hearing from you.

tshute
05-02-2002, 02:29 PM
Hi Kim

I'm doing the work on Win2K and I've got the same problem on NT.

I've tried it on about 7 different machines (a mixture of Win2K, NT and Win2K Server) - all the same!

Any ideas?

Tim.
==:confused:

tshute
05-02-2002, 02:31 PM
Hi Kim

Was there ever a resolution to the problem posted in demoshiled.support? It seemed to be exactly the same problem that I'm having, but there's no record of a solution, other than the workaround that I'm now using?

Tim.
==

KimberlyH
05-03-2002, 02:08 PM
What language operating system are you working on?

If you are working on any language other than English US, then you will need to provide localized text to appear in the QuickTime dialog in the launch.ini file.

The launch.ini file has a section marked [0x0409] with entries QTInstallCaption and QTInstallMsg - that is used in this dialog. If you are using any languages other than US English, just send us the list of languages and we can provide the numbers to be used in the launch.ini file.

I look forward to hearing from you.

tshute
05-03-2002, 02:12 PM
Sorry, Kim!

We're using UK English, which is just the same (at least as far as these two sentences go!).

O/S are Win2K (Professional & Server) and NT4 Workstation.

HTH

KimberlyH
05-03-2002, 02:58 PM
Actually, there is a different number to be used for UK English.

Please try using the following number in the launch.ini file:

[0809]

Therefore, the launch.ini should look something like this:

[32bit]
EXEName=demo32.exe
DBDName=demo.dbd
CmdLine=-q
CopyFiles=0
DIRName=Bin
QTInstall=1
QTInstallDir=Bin\QuickTime
[0x0809]
Caption=DemoShield Launch
PrepMessage=DemoShield is preparing to launch the DemoShield Demo
WaitMessage=Please wait one moment...
Scanning=Scanning:
Copying=Copying
To=to
Cancel=Cancel
LocalLaunch=Run Locally
NoSpace=Disk space is low. Do you want to run the demo locally?
QTInstallCaption=Install QuickTime
QTInstallMsg=QuickTime is required for the operation of this demo. Do you want to install QuickTime now?

I hope this helps.