PDA

View Full Version : pre-load sound?

DonKrebs
04-26-2002, 10:44 AM
when i test my demo in the player, the background MP3 halts while animation takes place. Seems in previous versions one could tell DS to pre-load the sound and that kept this from happening. How do I handle this difficulty now?
thanks,

Shawna
04-26-2002, 11:21 AM
When you say that animation is taking place, are you using an automation built with the automation wizard or do you have an animated gif or an animation created with the QuickAnimation Object?

Which version of DemoShield are you using? Does the MP3 restart once the animation has finished?

DonKrebs
04-26-2002, 11:38 AM
Sorry I was unclear. Nothing so sophisticated as you asked. I simply have a text box appearing from off screen. Perhaps two are entering at the same time.

DonKrebs
04-26-2002, 11:42 AM
DemoShield 6.70 & yes the MP3 restarts. It seems to be a matter of using the resources.

Shawna
04-26-2002, 12:04 PM
First off, I would highly recommend downloading the 6.71 maintainence release from our website. If you go to www.installshield.com/downloads, you can request it there. I would say to make sure that you get this as soon as possible, as there was a fairly major bug in 6.70 that would cause demos to become corrupt and unusable. So download the 6.71 release, open your demo and save it under 6.71.

Regarding this sound issue, are you using the QuickSound Object or the Streaming Media Obejct? If you are using the QuickSound, I would suggest switching to the Streaming Media Object for a couple of reasons. First, if you use the QuickSound, it requires QuickTime on the user's machine. With Streaming Media you can stream through Windows Media Player, which more users will have already. Second, the QuickTime playback in the QuickSound is not as relialble with MP3 files as using the Streaming Media with Windows Media Player.

If you find that this does not fix your issue, you can post your demo here and I'll be happy to take a look at it.

DonKrebs
04-26-2002, 12:41 PM
Shawna,
Well, after looking back, I already have the 6.71, thanks for the info.

You are right, I am using quickSound object. I will change that and see what happens.

Thanks for your prompt help.

DonKrebs
04-26-2002, 02:19 PM
I am overloading something,

DonKrebs
04-29-2002, 12:02 PM
Shawana,
Was I successful in attaching the first page of my demo for you to see?
DK

Shawna
04-29-2002, 12:04 PM
Don,

Your demo did not get attached to your post. The InstallShield Community only allows certain types of files, so you will have to zip up your demo and then attach the zip file.

DonKrebs
05-03-2002, 10:45 AM
I shall try this once again. .
DK

Shawna
05-03-2002, 04:16 PM
I just thought of something...I think there is a file size limit of 2MB on the community. If your file is over 2MB, you can upload it to our ftp site at ftp.installshield.com/incoming/shawna

Just tell me when it's there and the name of it.

DonKrebs
05-03-2002, 04:28 PM
Zipen5Demo.zip
Thanks for your help

Shawna
05-06-2002, 09:13 AM
Don,

For some reason the demo did not upload correctly and I could not open it. Is it possible for you to put together a simple one scene demo that displays the incorrect behavior and either post it here or on the ftp site?

thank you very much for your patience in this.

DonKrebs
05-06-2002, 10:29 AM
As a matter of fact, I sent a one page demo. Are you saying not zip it? or was it too big? I think you are the one being patient.

Shawna
05-06-2002, 10:36 AM
Actually, when I tried to open the zip file you sent, I got an error message saying that it was not a valid archive. Try uploading it again to the ftp site, but this time, just upload the dbd file, don't zip it. Or, you can email it to support@installshield.com with the subject line Online Community ATTN: Shawna (this may be best)

DonKrebs
05-06-2002, 10:48 AM
I just ftp d the (one page with a few texts) demo not zipped along with the mp3 file that stuttters when i run the demo

Shawna
05-06-2002, 11:15 AM
Don,

I got your demo and noticed that in your Streaming Media Object, you have a Play Sound Action under the Before Playback Actions. This may be the cause of your problems. What is happening is that DemoShield is trying to play the sound twice: once as a Play Sound Action in the Before Playback, and once as the Streaming Media Object sound. You should take out the Before Playback Actions.

Also, you should be setting up the path to your mp3 a little differently. You should use the <path> tokens. Since you will have a copy of the sound file in the bin folder, you can set your path up like this: <path>Zarbizarre - zerospace.mp3<path>. This will tell DemoShield to go to the location of the DemoShield Player (which will be the Bin folder on the CD) and then to look for the Zarbizarre - zerospace.mp3 file. More information on using DemoShield Tokens can be found in Knowledge Base article Q105484 (http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q105484) , INFO: DemoShield Tokens.

Please let me know if this corrects your issue.

DonKrebs
05-06-2002, 12:04 PM
Shawna,
I feel so ignorant. I have the Q doc you referred me to and several others referring to tokens. I want to learn how to use tokens, but...I can't figure out where to put them. Do I type this path stuff in bin? are they actions? something to do with objects? Where do i type the token such as the one you suggested?

Shawna
05-06-2002, 12:08 PM
Don,

For the Streaming Media Object, you would want to put the path in the field that says Media File Location (where you have "file://C:\..." currently). You will see there is an Insert Token button next to it. You can use the Insert Token button to choose your token or just type in the following:

<path>Zarbizarre - zerospace.mp3<path>

I hope this helps.

Shawna
05-06-2002, 03:00 PM
Don,

I recieved the email that you sent. The reason that you are not able to hear the sound when you play the demo through the designer is because of the Streaming Media Object. The Streaming Media Object is looking for the sound at the path you put in: <path>filename.mp3<path>. When testing the demo in the designer, the player that it is using is the demo32.exe that is in the Program folder where you installed DemoShield. Because you have not included a copy of the sound there, it is not playing. Here is what I would suggest:

Construct a test directory for your demo. Run through the distribution wizard and build your demo to a test directory where it will create the directory setup that you will have when you burn your CD. This will create your launch.exe, launch.ini, autorun file and Bin folder which will contain your demo, demo32.exe and all files imported by Reference. If you double-click on the launch.exe, it will play your demo with the player in the Bin folder and will therefore be able to reference the sound correctly.

I hope this helps.

DonKrebs
05-06-2002, 03:42 PM
Shawna,
Thank you again for your patience. I had done what you suggested, but I was missing the concept of clicking the Demo32 to test, rather than the demo.dbd. tested by clicking tehe player, I can now get the MP3 referenced by token to run without stuttering when the demo has some activity. By George, I think I've got it!
DK