PDA

View Full Version : DS 7.01 and Win2000

nlamka
04-23-2002, 10:28 AM
I have a CD browser created from the DS 7 wizard that hangs at startup on Win2000. The same CD browser works (although a bit strangly) on XP, 95 & 98 but starts and hangs part way through initialization on 2000. On the other OS versions the player begins initialization, pauses for 5 or 6 seconds during startup (halting the effect timings etc. and messing that up) but eventually completes and runs correctly from that point on. On 2000 it does not seem to come out of this initialization hang.

It behaves this way if I simply start from the wizard, create a blank demo and then run it.

Any suggestions or can anyone help. I have a not very happy customer on the end of the line.

Thanks

KimberlyH
04-23-2002, 10:56 AM
You mention that you are using the wizard to create the demo. Are you using the New Demo Wizard to create your demo or the Distribution Wizard to build your demo distribution?

If you are using the New Demo Wizard, what theme have you selected to create your demo from?

Are you building a full screen demo or a windowed demo?

If you are using the Distribution Wizard, what distribution type are you building and what options have you selected?

Would it be possible for you to send a copy of the demo and distribution? If so, you can either zip up the files and attach them to a post on this community or you can upload them to our ftp server at:

ftp://ftp.installshield.com/incoming

Username: anonymous
Password: your email address

I look forward to hearing from you.

nlamka
04-23-2002, 11:15 AM
Kim,
Thanks for the reply. I was using the "New Demo" wizard...

New Demo | CD Browser | Corporate web

Also, I tried to FTP the demo to the site. I can get to the site but I get a 550 access denied when trying to upload the ZIP file with the demo etc.. Is there something else I need to do or would you like me to email you the zip file (88K total with DBD, DSJ & a Closing BMP that I use).

KimberlyH
04-23-2002, 12:27 PM
You can email the file if you like to the following email address:

support@installshield.com

In the subject type the following:

Online Community Attn: Kim

I look forward to hearing from you.

KimberlyH
04-23-2002, 12:54 PM
I have received your demo. I am taking a look at it and cannot find anything that should prevent the demo from running on the different operating systems. How are you launching the demo on these systems? Are you running the demo from the Designer or through the Player?

Did you make any changes to the actions on the initial scene of the demo?

All the best,

nlamka
04-23-2002, 01:32 PM
I played the demo through the player. On my development system it pauses as described for 5 or 6 seconds during initialization and after starting the demo actions (so it looks bad). On the CD I launch it with the player as well using an autorun file. I'm using the demo32.exe (Version 7.1.100.1027) if that helps. As I said earlier, the report is that it hangs on Win/2000 at the same place as it has the long pause on other systems and never recovers.

nlamka
04-23-2002, 01:38 PM
Sorry, I forgot to actually answer your question about the actions. I did change a couple of the actions on that first page and the text. I did have to play around with the z-order of the items and a couple of the actions for some of the lines (delayed the start of the action only as I recall) as on one XP system (an IBM Thinkpad T23) the demo did not display correctly. I had the exact same problem with an unchanged demo created by the wizard (create and run...no changes) on that T23...and the delay during initialization.