PDA

View Full Version : MPG problem

jcunning
04-22-2002, 02:21 PM
I have read through this forum and am trying to get something clear with regard to MPG. I am sure I missed a step and maybe someone can help me.

I have about 9 mpg that I want to play. I have brought them in under streaming media. I tried to import them in the Resource Manager, under the video tab. However, when I select Import by Reference nothing happens. Plus, I do not get the option of selecting MPG video file, AVI object or Play Video Action.

When I test the demo shield, all works fine. However, when I do the distribution wizard to CD rom, the mpgs do not work.

What am I doing wrong?

Shawna
04-22-2002, 02:29 PM
If the demo is running fine through the Designer, but not when you burn to CD, then my guess is that you have not included a copy of the MPG files on the CD.

In the Streaming Media Object, if the path to the file is <path>filename.mpg<path>, then you need to make sure that a copy of the file is in the same location as the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe), which is in the Bin folder.

jcunning
04-23-2002, 11:32 AM
Shawna,

Thank you for your help, but this is not working. I am sure I am missing a step.

Let me recap exacting what I am doing.

First attempt:

Object
New Object
Streaming Video
Chose Media Player
Media File Location
I only get insert token option, not import from resources
My Mpg files are located in the same file as my demo file.
I can't find the bin folder in the demo32.exe as you noted.

OK - going this route, it works in testing in player. But when distribution to a CD, it does not work.

Second attempt:

Demo
Resource Manager
Video
Check import by reference
Import
I have to select all files, since the mpg's is not an option

So all the mpg's are in resource manager

Then I select

Object
New Quick Object
Quick Video
Import
Drop down menu, select the video from resource manager

They won't play at all - I assume because they are mpg's and I shouldn't use Quick Video

If at this point, I was to select streaming media instead, should I select something special under insert token?

Third attempt:

I took all the mpg's and converted them to quicktime using cleaner.

Demo
Resource Manager
Video
Import
Go back to designer
Object
New Quick object
quick video
drop down menu to resource manager
Select movie.

Now it plays in Designer, but not player.

What step(s) am I missing.

This really should not be that difficult.

When I select Distribution Wizard, it should keep all the media files together and able to read them.

Shawna, your help would be appreciated. I am sort of under the gun to get this CD out.

Shawna
04-23-2002, 11:50 AM
Ok, if you want to use mpegs, you will have to use the Streaming Media Object, because DemoShield does not natively support mpegs. This is why you are not able to use the QuickVideo Object and you have to switch to all files when importing mpegs.

Ok, so long story short, here is what you should do:

You have imported the mpegs by reference into the Resource Manager: good.

Place your Streaming Media Object in your Scene. Under the Media File Location you want to click the Insert Token button and choose Predefined Tokens and the path token. When you do this, it should put the <path> tokens in the Media File Location field so it looks like this: <path><path>
You then want to put the name of your video inbetween the <path> tokens, so it looks like this: <path>filename.mpg<path>

What the <path> tokens do is give a relative path to DemoShield, so it knows where to look for your files. The <path> tokens tell DemoShield to start where the DemoShield Player is, which will be the Bin folder when you make your CD Browser distribution. So, if you set up the Streaming Media Object this way, you will not be able to test the demo in the Player because the player it will use is the one that is in the Program folder where DemoShield is installed.

Now, when you build your distribution, DemoShield should include a copy of your mpg files in the Bin folder because you imported them by reference. If you want to test your demo after you make the distribution but before you burn to the CD, you can go into the build folder and double-click on the launch.exe that is created. This will launch the demo with the player in the Bin folder, giving you the correct setup to the video files. Do not test in the build folder by double-clicking on the dbd file in the Bin folder. This doesn't work because DemoShield will use the Player that is in the Program folder where DemoShield was installed instead of using the Player that is in the Bin folder.

Ok, I hope that I am making sense and you can get the Streaming Media Object to work.

If you would like more info on the Streaming Media Object or using DemoShield Tokens, you can look at Knowledge Base articles Q105114 (http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q105114) , INFO: Streaming Media Object or Q105484 (http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q105484) , INFO: DemoShield Tokens. These are good, in-depth articles that really help explain both of these topics.

jcunning
04-23-2002, 02:01 PM
Shawna,

Thank you. That did indeed work. I got this frontend to work in Trainersoft, but it was not as professionally looking as Demoshield. I was giving Demoshield one last try and then it was off to burn copies of Trainersoft's version.

I do appreciate your prompt response in terms of support. That is something that is unheard of in the computer industry - without paying.

However, in future versions of Demoshield, they should really make an easier way to embed mpg's. I know you don't support them, but you really should.

Nevertheless, thank you for your help. I can now burn copies on the duplicating machine!!

Thank you.

Jamie