PDA

View Full Version : Registering Update Agent

Jan_Cieslicki
04-18-2002, 03:17 AM
InstallShield Prof. 6.31

Adding "InstallShield Object for the InstallShield Update Service" and setting values for Product Code, Version and ScheduleInterval does not automatically result in creating:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\Update Service\Database\<ProductCode> and the following values under that key:

LastCheck
MessageFilter
ScheduleInterval
Version=<ProductVersion>.

What else needs to be done?

Chris Woerner
04-18-2002, 11:25 AM
With the March 26th release of our Agent.exe (version 1.1), we moved the storage of product information on the local PC from HKCU to a file. We did that because some Update Service users have multiple users that use the same PC. As a result, only the user who installed the application could use the Update Service.

The new location is in an ini file located in:

C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\UpdateService\Database\{GUID}

where the {GUID} is your application's GUID. You should see your product information there.

Jan_Cieslicki
04-19-2002, 02:28 AM
Unfortunately, my question still stands as the below mentioned file is not being created automatically. Do I need to do anything else appart from:
1. adding IS Object (Update Service) to the list of components
2. Setting values for Product Code, etc.... By the way, is the Product Code the one generated by InstallShield?
3. Could you show me by example (ie installation for Notepad.exe) with .ipr file how it's done?

My current status is that neither folder nor .ini file is created. When I try to run the update from application menu I get an error message "Product is not registered with the Agent"

Regards

Jan
PS. Sorry, but I'm new to InstallShield.

Originally posted by Chris Woerner
With the March 26th release of our Agent.exe (version 1.1), we moved the storage of product information on the local PC from HKCU to a file. We did that because some Update Service users have multiple users that use the same PC. As a result, only the user who installed the application could use the Update Service.

The new location is in an ini file located in:

C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\UpdateService\Database\{GUID}

where the {GUID} is your application's GUID. You should see your product information there.

Chris Woerner
04-19-2002, 10:43 AM
Let me ask one more question. If this doesn't work, I will post an .ipr for notepad.

Did you add script code into your .rul file to set the product/version?

function OnBegin()
OBJECT oObject;
begin
set oObject = GetObject( "New Update Service 1" );
oObject.ProductCode = PRODUCT_GUID;
oObject.ProductVersion = "1.2";
oObject.ScheduleInterval = 30; // this line is optional
end;

The value for ProductCode, PRODUCT_GUID, is specified in the project properties; you can view it by selecting the Project menu's Settings command and clicking the resulting project property sheet's Application tab. ProductVersion can be any string value; typically, the product version includes the major and minor version fields, as shown. The scheduling interval is an optional property.

Make sure the "New Update Service 1" matches the name of the object inserted into your project. If those don't match, you will get a runtime error.

Let me know if that helps. Please email directly at chrisw@installshield.com.