PDA

View Full Version : IS7DEV & SourceSafe

msgorgo
04-15-2002, 10:04 AM
Hi,

I created a Standard Project and put it under source control from the IDE. Because I’m working on different machines, I did a get latest version on a different box into a new directory and noticed that my setup.rul file was missing. It was not put under source control.

I’m running ISDEV V7.02 and using Visual Source Safe 6.0c on WINXP Pro and a W2k machine.

Thanks.
Georg

aventi
04-15-2002, 12:43 PM
What's the question?

msgorgo
04-15-2002, 12:54 PM
The question is, why is my setup.rul file not put under source control ?

aventi
04-15-2002, 12:59 PM
According to the documentation and my test, IS Developer only works with the .isv file. Looks like you need to manually deal with the "other" files (.rul, .ism ...).

msgorgo
04-15-2002, 02:36 PM
From the docs i can read, that IS7DEV does an export to the .isv file and this file will be checked in into source safe to save space.

So i can see, that my .ism file contains a reference to setup.rul, but it will not be exported to the .isv file. It looks like, that based on the contents of the .isv file, source safe operations are made.
The docs are quite unclear, if the scripts files (which are also part of the project) are handled by source control.

Another problem is, that i have to work on my setup project on different machines. This is currently impossible, because it looks like, that IS7DEV cannot work only with an .isv file. I tried to launch IS7DEV on a different machine and open a setup project and press the source control button in the file open dialog. I can select my projet in source safe, and the files are extracted to my working folder. After this operation you get another file open dialog and i selected the .isv file. (at this point, the .ism file is not existent). I can select the file and the dialog closes, but nothing happens.

So after all, i agree with you, that i have to maintain the .ism file and the .rul file manually. (Which is not very intuitive)

Side note: After ChekIn of the the .isv file, the .ism file is also set to readonly.

ChetFields
07-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Would someone from IS mind commenting on this thread? I also have noticed that it is a bit annoying to not be able to simply create a new project from source safe and have everything needed (except my referenced files of course) ready to build. This would be wonderful for disaster recovery and etc.

SailRacerJ
07-19-2002, 01:11 PM
If you have any support files, like a bitmap for your splash screen, you must put that in VSS yourself too.

jatwoodau
07-19-2002, 06:35 PM
Here's what we're doing to deal with Visual Source Safe and InstallShield Dev 7:

1) Using IsDev, add the project to Visual Source Safe. This generates the .isv and all the .idt files. Do a checkout so you can work on things...
2) Using Source Safe, add you .h and .rul files to the tree. Make sure to keep 'em checked-out.
3) Using Source Safe, add any other supporting directories and files. Make sure to keep 'em checked-out.

...So now we have everything under VSS, right?
Now we want to do a build on the build machine...

1) using the command line Source Safe, get the tree containing the project. This gets the .isv file, .idt files, and the supporting directories.
2) Now we want to use iscmdbld.exe, but it only recognizes .ism files, so use the vbscript (I've attached it, rename it to isv2ism.vbs) to build the new .ism
3) now we build the project using iscmdbld.

... so now we have a nice build system, right?
The only problem is remembering to keeping checking in the changes. You're on your own there, because IS is too dang lazy to see what script files you've attached to the project and handle the source code revistion for you.

Good Luck! They don't make it easy for ya...