PDA

View Full Version : Windows Startup

chrislynn5
04-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Have a project where I deploy the demoshield inside of a installsheild build. It goes out on master hard drives from system builders. The demoshield demo is placed on the desktop, start menu and in the start-up folder. The demo comes up everytime the pc is rebooted. I have a checkbox on the demo to 'disable' the demo which I need to remove it from the startup folder.

Question: How can I remove the reference in the start up folder when the'disable' checkbox has been selected by the user on the demo. I know that I can use a variable to flag upon demo close that the checkbox was selected but what do I run to remove startup folder reference so the demo doesn't play again when the user re-boots. I can't unistall the demo because the user still gets an icon on the desktop in case they would like to install my product later.

Also: How do I check the state of the checkbox (which has state saved selected).? I have tried to use a comparison of object equals true but it doesn't work. In the event actions, custom condition, for object pressed equals true. Doesn't work?

Thanx.

KimberlyH
04-16-2002, 09:17 AM
Are you building a Setup Wizard distribution and installing your demo to the user's system from there? If this is the case, then you will not be able to disable the demo from the Startup folder.

If you are using one of the InstallShield products to build an install for your demo, I would recommend positing your question to the community for that product.

I hope this helps.

chrislynn5
04-16-2002, 09:30 AM
First I stated that I'm using Install to deploy my demo. The question still is, I have a disable demo at startup checkbox and I need to know how I can test when it's set to checked.

I have tried everything. I use object, pressed = true, etc. nothing works.

Your documentation is lacking online and in th eproduct for how to handle the checkbox. I set the state to save, and I see it saves it. I need to react to it.

I'm trying to use an Event Object.

I can't be the first who has a demo which wants to run a startup (easy) then wants to remove it based on a checkbox selection by the user. I see these all the time. It's not an installsheild issue.

Thanx.:confused:

KimberlyH
04-16-2002, 09:39 AM
If you could provide more information as to how you have the Event set up to disable the startup, it would help in determining what the best approach would be.

All the best,

chrislynn5
04-16-2002, 09:51 AM
In Event Properties, check custom condition:

If Disable_Popup Pressed Property equals true then
{
Hide 'EarthLink_Logo' in current Scene
}
else
{
}

'Disable_popup' is the checkbox. Also permanently save state box is checked. I see this works whenI rerun the demo the check is saved.

Used the 'Hide Earthlink_Logo' to just test to see if logic works. Everything I tired, nothing works. I would put in remove startup key?? code

KimberlyH
04-16-2002, 10:16 AM
When checking the Pressed Property state of a Button Object, the pressed state will be returned as either a 0 or a 1 -- 1 for pressed; 0 for unpressed.

Therefore, when setting up the Event Object to check for the pressed state of the checkbox, it should look something like this:

If Checkbox Button.Pressed Property equals 1 then

Hide AutoShape

Else

Show AutoShape

I have created a sample demo that displays this behavior.

To apply this to the startup of your demo, you would probably need to launch an external application, from the True Actions of the Event Object, that contains the startup key code.

I hope this helps.

chrislynn5
04-16-2002, 10:29 AM
I have tried this before = 1 and it doesn't work. Your syntax is different then what my version forces (auto generates). I have 6.07.

I'll look at your demo but I'm not sure if the syntax you have here is right for my version??

chrislynn5
04-16-2002, 10:46 AM
Can't open your file, it says wrong format. On another note, version 6.07 is quirky. I tried to find a marketing paper on what you've changed in the newest release so I'd upgrade and I couldn't see any major chnages to justify upgrading to 7.

I can tell you 6.07 is unstable and quirky.

Can you send me a 6.07 example?:eek:

KimberlyH
04-16-2002, 11:11 AM
For DemoShield 6.7x the Condition within the Event Object should be the same. When setting up your condition do the following:

Create an Event Object in your scene.
Open the Properties and go to the Object Styles tab.
Select the Always Perform True Actions and delete this.
Select New.
This will bring up the Condition Builder.
Select Custom as the type of condition.

Under the Condition Description click on the link for:

<global variable/Object>

A drop down menu will appear below.
Select Object from the menu.
Another drop down will appear.
Select the Button Object you are using as a checkbox.
Another drop down will appear.
Select Pressed Property as the property type.

Click Apply

Next click on the <Object property/constant> link.
A new drop down will appear below.
Select Constant (Numeric).
An edit field will appear.
Type in: 1

Click Apply

The Condition Description should look like this:

If B Checkbox Pressed Property equals 1 then
{
}
else
{
}

If it looks like this, click OK.

Next, go to the Actions tab. Assign the action you wish to occur if the condition is true (the checkbox is selected) under the True Actions. Assign the actions you wish to occur if the condition is false (the button is not checked) under the False Actions.

After you have assigned your actions, you can go back into the Condition, and you should see the following:

If B Checkbox Pressed Property equals 1 then
{
Hide 'G Logo' in current Scene
}
else
{
Show 'G Logo' in current Scene
}

I recreated the demo in version 6.7 and am attaching it to this posting.

I also wanted to mention that you may want to make sure you have the latest version of DemoShield 6.7x. You can download the DemoShield 6.71 maintenance release from our website from the following URL:

http://www.installshield.com/downloads

All the best,

chrislynn5
04-17-2002, 10:47 AM
Thanx, I have now figured it out! Your product is killer the best I've seen and used!

One thing, do you offer a parameter to disable the popup when the demo is exited that says 'created by Demoshield'? I've tried silent mode -q but that doesn't work. I have seen Microsoft demo's do this...

thanx!

KimberlyH
04-17-2002, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately, the closing splash cannot be removed when exiting out of the demo. However, you can incorporate your own closing splash to appear right above the DemoShield closing splash. The following Knowledge Base article will walk you through doing this:

Q105135 - HOWTO: Incorporating Your Own Closing Splash Screen that Will Appear Above the DemoShield Closing Splash Screen When you Exit Out of your DemoShield Demo

I hope this helps.