PDA

View Full Version : Installallationmode: "Only for me / Anyone using that system"

Markus Palatzky
04-15-2002, 09:00 AM
Hi,
during the installation of my basic MSI package the user is asked:
"Install this apllication for: Anyone or only for me"

Unfortunately the shortcuts to my app are created always under "documents and settings\all users" even if I select only for me.

Since I am quite new in developing with Installshield I would appreciate any help what is missing in my project.
I thought I have to do nothing special in order to control the destiniation of the shortcut creation. May be this is wrong!?!

Thanks in advance.

Markus

Happy Days
04-15-2002, 09:41 AM
Hi,

From where and how are you creating the shortcuts and what is the Target/Destination set for those ?

I think i can help u.....do let me know !!

Markus Palatzky
04-15-2002, 10:25 AM
Thanks for your answer.

I created the shortcuts in the component definition/shortcut.
Target: Advertised shortcut to [INSTALLDIR]module.exe

I hope this is the information you asked for.

Markus

aventi
04-15-2002, 12:41 PM
Make sure to check your ALLUSERS setting in your properties and that it is set in this dialog. Ultimately, this property needs to be set by this dialog. At the same time note who you are at your test installation time. Do you have administrator privileges? This may matter depending on the ALLUSERS setting.

Happy Days
04-15-2002, 12:46 PM
Well,

I think this is a very good answer posted by aventi.:D

Think upon this and let us know.....good luck !!

Markus Palatzky
04-15-2002, 12:48 PM
Thanks all for helping me.

In the meanwhile I got the solution.

Please see the post from MarioC I found in the archive from 01-24-2002:
"
BUG: ALLUSERS in Customerinformation dialog
Hi,

According to my tests, it didn't make any difference if I installed for the current user only, or a per machine installation.

I looked at the events when clicking the next button and saw that the ALLUSERS property was set to 1 for a per machine installation and set to 0 for a per user installation. This zero should be changed to {}.

The per user installation only happens when the ALLUSERS property is not defined (so a value of null or ""). Setting it to 0 does not undefine it and that's why shortcuts are also created for other users to.

I hope this will be of any help for others,
Mario
"

IS_NewUser
04-18-2012, 04:54 AM
Hi Markus,
According to Mario's post, I set in my script:

MsiSetProperty(ISMSI_HANDLE, "ALLUSERS", "");

But it does not work, the shortcuts in Start Menu still populate in all users account.
Do you have any ideas?
Thanks.