PDA

View Full Version : Overwrite existing installation

GaryDw
04-13-2002, 08:51 PM
Hi All

I am new to IS Dev, so please forgive me if this question seems really basic.

What I am trying to achieve is that when I run the installation of my product, that it should install itself over any previous versions. Currently it comes up in maintenance mode, which is unnecessary for me. I tried changing the package code and version number, but that displayed an error that a version already existsed and needed to be uninstalled thru Add/Remove programs.

I thought this issue would be really easy to resolve, but have not found the answer yet.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

alatten
04-15-2002, 09:00 AM
Hi Gary,

you can switch off the Maintenance Mode in your IDE Point '1) General Information/Project Properties'. Regarding the manual calling again setup.exe should result in an installation over the existing one. Deinstallation will then only be possible via the 'Software-Applet'.
But I never tried it... ;-)

Regards,
Andrees

aventi
04-15-2002, 01:07 PM
I would strongly recommend reading about Major Upgrades in the MSI help documentation. There is a fine balance of all Product, Package and Upgrade guids. I can't say exactly what may be the interaction you have. One thing is certain you have the same Product code, which is desirable. I think you just need to examine the Upgrade code relative to the Product Version.

jmarch
04-15-2002, 01:10 PM
i had the same problem and i tried to disable maintenance and it work perfectly.

jmarch

Joshua
04-15-2002, 01:11 PM
Gary,

I would first clarify on what you want to accomplish. Do you want your new setup to silently REMOVE any old products if they exist before installing your new setup? Or do you want it to simply install the changes ON TOP OF the existing setup?

If you want it to REMOVE your old setup, I'd recommend a Major Upgrade. If you want to install changes ON TOP OF the existing setup, I'd recommend a Minor Upgrade.

If using a Minor Upgrade, there is currently a bug in Developer 7.02. I would suggest trying this in Developer 7.03 Beta.

GaryDw
04-15-2002, 01:18 PM
Hi Joshua

Thanks for the reply

I want to install ON TOP OF the current installation. How do I get the Developer 7.03 beta and how stable is it?

Gary

Joshua
04-15-2002, 01:24 PM
Gary,

Instructions on how to get the beta of Developer 7.03 can be found at the top of this Community. Please read the posting entitled "Developer 7.03 Beta".

In answer to your question, it is quite stable - but still in beta. You may want to wait because later this month the full version of Developer 7.03 is due to be released.

Kusum Wadekar
04-29-2002, 01:44 PM
After reading a few postings and Help on this subject, I am sorry but I am a bit confused.

I have Enable maintenance property set to No. When I re-install it asks me: Are you sure you want remove all the components of product <prodname>. Then we have to uninstall and then run the Install again to install the product. (Two steps are required)

Is there no way around the Uninstall, if we want to unconditionally re-install on top of an existing install as if we were doing a new Install ?. This was possible in IS Version 5.x