PDA

View Full Version : Set property from outside install

mjensen1
04-12-2002, 03:50 PM
I have created an install that requires a COM+ proxy package to be installed. I understand and have working a Custom Action
that installs the COM + Proxy package prior to the install package MSI running (to avoid MSI error about installer already running...).
The problem is that the Proxy package must be made aware
of where the COM+ server resides. Right now I have a property in the install package called COMPLUSSERVERNAME which gets set by the user launching a setup.bat file which accepts their input and passes it as an argument to setup.exe which sets the property inside the install package. The Custom Action then uses
the "new" value as a argument to the COM+ proxy package install. This however is not very robust and depends on the user
correctly typing the server name. I have created a small VB6 executable which uses the Active DS type library to obtain a list
of computers on the domain and prompts the user to select one
which I would like to use to set the property. However, being somewhat new to InstallShield Developer 7, I am not sure how to go about this. I have the executable being launched via a Custom Action with no problem, I just need to get the user selection into the property so the COM+ proxy package has the right value. Any help or suggestions on how to do this easier would be most appreciated. R, Mike Jensen

Happy Days
04-13-2002, 03:35 AM
Hi,

What i think needs to be done is to use script.

Call your VB executable with the help of the function LaunchAppAndWait with WAIT as the third argument.
Now, create a custom action that calls this function and insert it before the call to the CA that register the COM+ application.
Make sure to set the Properties thru the VB Exe so that COM+ progrm can use it.

Tim_invlink
09-13-2002, 10:16 AM
I'm trying to install a proxy application as well. How did you create the proxy application in VB? I've been looking into doing this through the comadmin.dll but have not found how to indicate that it's a proxy. I can specify the remote server but it appears there are other things that need to be done.

mjensen1
09-13-2002, 01:26 PM
When you create a COM+ application and install it it shows up in the component services window under Administrative Tools (I am running Win2K Advanced Server so that's where I see it).
Within the Component Services window browse to my computer, COM+ Applications and right click on your COM+ application and select export. This will walk you through making a client proxy package (Application Proxy) which then can be installed on client machines. I hope this answers your question.