PDA

View Full Version : Help with large project

Nick Mooney
04-12-2002, 01:15 PM
Hi,

I am working on a large project which has four different flavors. I share many components between these flavors. But, I need to allow users to install more than one flavor at once (SKU #1 and SKU #2 on the same system for testing purposes).

The problem is that when the install runs for SKU#2 on a system with SKU#1 already installed, the user gets the error "0x80040706. Description: Object reference not set". This error occurs right before file copy while the status dialog is configuring itself. So, my questions is, how can I allow installks of all SKU's on one system without this error? Is this error caused by installing the same components (GUID's) over top of themselves? Any help would be appreciatted.

Thanks,
Nick

Joshua
04-12-2002, 02:25 PM
Nick,

Do these two projects have unique package codes, product codes, upgrade codes, versions, etc? Sharing a Component shouldn't be a problem as long as the package/product codes differ.

Are you including any Merge Modules? If you remove them, does the same problem occur?

Nick Mooney
04-12-2002, 08:13 PM
They do have unique Product codes. I'll give them unique package and see how it works out.

Thanks for the advice!

Nick