PDA

View Full Version : COM+ Nested MSI install SHORTFILENAMES Error

michaelk
04-12-2002, 11:27 AM
I have noticed a couple of postings with the following problem. I'd be gratefull for any help as I haven't found a solution yet. I'm using InstallShield Developer 7.02 and standard project.

I am using a custom action (type 23) to install a COM+ package in MTS on Windows 2000 as a nested install. The package has been exported as .MSI file. (As described by Q105706)

My project throws a run-time error informing me that one of the DLLs in the .MSI package is not a valid short file name. In fact most of the DLLs have long file names which is intentional.

I have tried exporting a package with only short file name DLLs and it works!

Help!!!

Many Thanks,
Mike.

MarioC
04-15-2002, 08:26 AM
Hi,

In the past I did already make a posting about this one.

But it's your lucky day (and mine to) because, this morning I found out what's going wrong.
The problem is that if you take a look at the file table of the COM+ package, only long filenames are filled in. If you edit this manually (short name|long name) then it works.

A better way is to download the hotfix on SP2 that microsoft released. Search the knowledge base from Microsoft on Q313582.

Good luck

michaelk
04-16-2002, 10:32 AM
Brilliant that did the trick - thanks!

I'm very suprised how much effort it took to do this. For anyone else battling with this, another problem I encountered is error code 1713.

I used logging to track down the problem to the statement I used in the Condition. Do this by calling setup /verbose"C:\Temp\Everything.log"

I Fixed it by changing INSTALLDIR=[INSTALLDIR] to INSTALLDIR="[INSTALLDIR]". Not obvious.

Regards,
Mike.