PDA

View Full Version : MSI Files Still Remaining on the

KeithO
04-11-2002, 03:53 AM
Has anyone else experienced problems where the MSI files for the installation remains even after the program has been un-installed.

I dont know if this is normal practice but it seems strange to me that they are kept. Also if you are in a testing environment then you can quickly build up a lage number of MSI files.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ramose
04-17-2002, 06:14 PM
With the pesky MSI files I left behind when I unistall. I make a registry entry under the runonce key for windows nt make a new string value and set it to "cmd.exe /c del <path to the msi filename>" that way when they reboot or logg off next time they log on that command gets ran and deletes the file. For win9x use command.com instead of cmd.exe. Hope this helps. If it is one of the msi files that has a random name then try this:

When you first run the install have it create a list of all the msi files in the directory make the list global.

2: at the end of the install create another list of msi files in that directory.

3. in a loop read the items from the new list and look for it in the global list. When you don't find one that is the msi that current install made and write its path to the registry so when you uninstall you can retreive that value and set the runonce key.

Yes I have had to get creative to do garbage collection.