PDA

View Full Version : Installing MSDE1 Service Pack 3 from a Standard Project?

kpfleming
04-10-2002, 02:38 PM
I've got an installer package set up successfulling installing MSDE 1.0 using ISD's MSDE merge module... however, my application requires that the database server be upgraded to service pack 3. Has anyone out there already built a merge module or other solution for installing the SP3 package for SQL Server from an ISD standard project?

akaStacy
04-11-2002, 08:22 AM
Here is how I did it:

Unpack the SP3 package on your system and then add it to your project (installing to C:\70SP3 on target machine). After all the files are transferred and merge modules are installed call the SP install from your script, something like this:

szMsg = "Installing MS SQL Server Service Pack 3."
+ " This can take up to 15 minutes, please wait...";
SdShowMsg ( szMsg, TRUE );
szProgram = "C:\\70sp3\\x86\\setup\\setupsql.exe";
szSetupIss = "C:\\70sp3\\Setup.iss";
szIssFile = WINDIR ^ "Setup.iss";
nResult = XCopyFile ( szSetupIss, WINDIR, COMP_NORMAL );

szCmdLine = "NTAuthentication=1 k=SMS -s -m -z -SMS -f1 \""
+ szIssFile + "\"";
nResult = LaunchAppAndWait ( szProgram , szCmdLine , WAIT );

SdShowMsg ( szMsg, FALSE );

there are a couple of good articles on MS website also...

kpfleming
04-11-2002, 12:46 PM
Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking about doing, except I'm going to put the whole SP3 kit into a Merge Module, so I'll be using VBScript instead of InstallScript... hopefully things will work out OK. Thanks again.

akaStacy
04-12-2002, 07:18 AM
The problem I have with Merge Modules is that I can't figure out how to control the order they're installed... So theoretically your SP3 module can kick in before your MSDE module...

Does anybody know how to get around this, other than using the script?

kpfleming
04-12-2002, 11:48 AM
I assumed that having the SP3 module dependent on the MSDE module would take care of that, but maybe not...

Since yesterday, though, we've decided to ship our app with MSDE2000 instead of MSDE1, so the whole SP3 issue has become moot (at least for me :-) Thanks for your help anyway.