PDA

View Full Version : Generate .msi file from setup.exe for building patch

gchauhan
04-09-2002, 07:06 PM
Hi!

Does anyone know how to generate the project .msi file from the compressed setup.exe?

We have to build a patch for the new release of our product already deployed at customer sites. The patch wizard requires an .msi file to get the details of the previous package.

We have tried creating a new "Uncompressed" release for the old version of the product and built a patch. The Upgrade patch works fine when it is run on a machine that has this new uncompressed release deployed. BUT, it does not work when it is applied on a machine that had the original compressed software deployed.

Since we have already distributed our software to customers, we need a mechanism of getting the msi file corresponding to our existing release for building the upgrade.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Geeta

Xcygnus1
04-10-2002, 12:49 PM
I haven't tried this myself (and I may be wrong), but I think you might be able to trick it into working by copying the GUIDs for the setup (found under General Information/Product Properties) from the original compressed setup to the uncompressed version of the setup.
If you don't have access to the original project for the compressed setup file you may be able to determine the GUID from the Installer subfolder of the Windows directory on one of the machines that has the compressed setup installed.
I'm only guessing that this will work so if you're going to try this be sure to test it a few times before releasing. :rolleyes:

Peerke
04-11-2002, 05:00 AM
The method you mention for getting the MSI (rebuild), should work.
However, a copy of the MSI-file is being kept on every machine the software is installed on, so you could try that MSI-file.

Regards,

Rene

klacounte
04-11-2002, 08:54 AM
You can also get the .msi file from the temp directory while the install is running. Just run setup.exe and while it's running look for a newly created directory in temp directory.