PDA

View Full Version : What is REINSTALLMODE option v?

David DeRam
04-08-2002, 02:22 PM
REINSTALLMODE option v

"Use to run from the source package and re-cache the local package. Do not use the v reinstall option code for the first installation of an application or feature. "

What does this mean? I can't figure out what this option does.

Thanks for any help.

Joshua
04-08-2002, 03:59 PM
David,

By default, Microsoft designed the MSI engine to cache (or store) a copy of the setup on the local machine. Therefore during Maintenance Mode, it doesn't necessarily need to ask you for the original media.

If you ran the setup in Maintenance Mode, it would access this cached copy of the setup. If you ran in Maintenance Mode with a /v parameter, it would recache the package. Therefore if you updated the files but left the product code the same, running the setup would cause the new files to be copied to the target machine during a repair.

That's just one of many examples of how /v can be used, it's quite powerful.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Joshua
InstallShield

David DeRam
04-09-2002, 08:21 AM
Joshua - thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure I understand. Can you please give me an example of a situation where you would not want to use the "v" option?

Thanks.

Joshua
04-09-2002, 10:17 AM
David,

An example of when you would want to use the /v option is during a Minor Upgrade. If you add new files to Version 2 of your application, and launch the setup, it will reinstall the files that were already installed the first time.

If you launch the setup with a /v paramter, it will reinstall the files - including the new files you added.

I hope this helps!

David DeRam
04-09-2002, 10:46 AM
>
If you add new files to Version 2 of your application, and launch the setup...
<
When you say launch the setup, do you mean the the new setup (the one with the 2 new files)?
Are you saying that the reinstall would _not_ install your 2 new files, unless you use the "v" option?

Thanks.