PDA

View Full Version : Advertised Shortcuts Install all Data files?

LloydW
04-08-2002, 01:54 AM
Hey

I'm trying to setup an advertised shortcut that will install an application from the web. However when I choose the Feature from the options it installs it completely and when I don't choose the feature the advertised shortcut isn't created?

I've set the Feature to allow Advertise and set the shortcut to use advertise? How do I force the shortcut to always be setup even if the feature isn't selected?

Or am I not understanding advertised shortcuts correctly?

Thanks

Prince
04-08-2002, 06:43 AM
Hi,

It seems that you are misunderstanding the concept of Advertised Shortcuts. At run time, if the user advertises the product or the feature containing the shortcut, the shortcut will be created but the component's files will not be installed until the user launches the shortcut. When the shortcut is launched for the first time, the Windows Installer service installs the component's files and other data and then the shortcut launches the target file. Every time the shortcut is used from then on, it behaves like a normal shortcut.
If you have not selected the feature then that shortcut will not install. So all of what you need is to select the feature in order to install that shorcut.

Hope this helps!!!

LloydW
04-08-2002, 06:00 PM
Thats they way I thought it should work, however it doesn't seem to want to do it that way :)

I have the feature set to "Favour Advertise". In the install I use a SdSetupTypeEx type box to allow the user to choose between a minimum (without the component) and a Typical (with the component).

However when I choose typical installshield installs the entire component locally and I never see an advertised shortcut.

Do I have to use some other form of Dialog box to get this to work?

The above behaviour is not exactly what I want either, I'm just trying to get advertising to work at the moment.

What I'm aiming for this the following:

Minimum - very few files are installed, feature is advertised
Typical - all files are installed.

If you could point me in the right direction of how to do this? It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Lloyd

Fearme
01-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Did you ever figure out how to do this? Im trying to do something similar with an InstallScript MSI package